Re: BBC Puzzle

>>Jim Thomps>>> >>> >>>> Jim Thomps>>>>> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 17:11:32 -0700, Joerg >>> [snip] >>>>> I thought the period had been extended to something like 18 months? >>>>> >>>> Nope. A friend of ours just lost her job because the employer simply >>>> couldn't pay here anymore. She said that if she doesn't find a new one >>>> until October there would be a crunch since unemployement will run out >>>> by then. >>> >>> Apparently that "extension" thing was a few years back during another >>> "crunch", Arizona is now back to 26 weeks also. >>> >>> It ought to be a function of jobs available, not just a fixed period >>> of time. >>> >>> I note that a lot of retired folk are bagging groceries at the Safeway >>> down on the corner... I bet that pays more than minimum wage ;-) >>> >> >>Not a whole lot more I guess because it's unskilled labor. > >Safeway is unionized... cashiers get $35/hour ;-) > >>Some older >>folks can't make a living without a job. But I also know a retired guy >>who certainly didn't need the extra income yet worked at a hardware >>store for over a year so he didn't get bored. > >I can understand that. Why do you think I keep working? > >>The best was a guy at a >>client a long time ago. In his high 70's, final assembly, where I had to >>find the root cause of a problem. I asked him why he still worked there. >>His answer: "My wife said I either go back to work or she'd file for >>divorce ..." > >I don't have that problem at all... I've worked from home since 1973. >I even help my wife "engineer" some of her gourmet creations... for >instance we're building a cake right this minute that will look like >an all-decked-out Mexican sombrero when finished ;-) > >And our continuing joint project is creating cloth place-mats and >napkins appropriate to each holiday meal... I'm quite expert at sewing >mitered corners ;-) > > ...Jim Thompson

Well, since I am now unemployed, I have spent a lot of time landscaping the back yard! Since Cadence gave me the axe, I have built a little deck (16x12), built a fountain with a custom stone waterfall, planted three additional fruit trees, ran power from my pool pump house out to the deck and the fountain, and I am now laying concrete pavers to the fountain and the area around it.

I look for work, but as long as unemployment lasts, all our expenses are met, so there is no big urgency. So far, all the best places I wanted to work were laying off people, not hiring... :-<

Now incorporating, so if I do land some consulting, I can do the finances right...

Charlie Edmondson Engineering

Reply to
Charlie E.

I spent the first half of last year fixing up my house and sold it in November. After we put it on the market I got bored, mainly because I couldn't make messes anymore, so put my resume on Monster. It took about three weeks to find a contracting job. I've certainly not been bored (averaging 60hr weeks).

Why incorporate? My accountant buddy told me not to bother even doing a DBA. I'm contracting, but on a W2. Most companies won't pay on a 1099, so that makes it even more difficult to make a "business" work to your advantage.

--
Keith
Reply to

Incorporation is good if you are going to be dealing with large companies or government agencies. One of my old specialties is audio/video and networking, and our local school district just got a bond measure passed to build six new schools. Since I have my PE, I can bid on the contracts to design and consult on them. Also, my wife can be the official 'owner' of the business, which makes us woman owned by a minority (disabled, since she is blind!) and that gives us extra points...

Charlie Edmondson Engineering

Reply to
Charlie E.

They want a PE to design audio/video/networking system? Wow... when I was in school the only guys who worried about the PE were civil and mechanical engineers!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Contracting through monster? Interesting. Do you think it's a good tool to find contractors for clients? After all, there still isn't a good consultants and contractors database anywhere.

Won't pay on a 1099? Never experienced that before, ever. A 1099 is a very normal process.

Strange that I can't see Charlie's post. I did finally axe the gmail domain so I can't see those but not his ieee.org domain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's worked for me. I got the job I'm in now in about three weeks. I wasn't even seriously looking. I now get calls all the time, though I'm not really interested in another contracting gig (I could stay here for a while, if I wanted). I'm hoping to get a full time position shortly.

It's normal, but apparently it opens the employer up to all sorts of liability. My last employer refused, as well. We had to hire through an agency, who then paid by W2. It's the same where I am now (on the other end).

The Usenet is like that.

--
Keith
Reply to

[...]

Good luck with that. The EE market is good these days.

In my consulting agreements I include quite clear wording that the other party won't fear to be stiffed by tax and other authorities. Never had a problem. If they work through an agency then the agency wants a cut of the pie and so it'll cost the company more.

The popular readers have quirks as well. For example the Thunderbird filters barely work on newsgroups. While it chopped the whole gmail domain it still lets another domain pass even though it's blocked by the same (!) filter. Oh well, blocking gmail alone has cut the spam to a trickle. Good enough, for now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It seems to be. I'm not having any trouble finding work and not really trying very hard.

Yes, I've seen that done too. The companies won't pay on 1099s themselves. We hired a contractor in '00 that way. He didn't care that the agency (who he'd never worked for before) took their 20% cut.

Yes, it's in many ways unfortunate that there is no money to be made writing common Internet applications. I've found a few newsreaders (and emailers) that I like, but are no longer supported. Bugs are everywhere and tend to get worse.

--
Keith
Reply to

Right. It's almost as if the telephone does one's marketing all by itself these days (by ringing a lot).

I'd be quite hesitant. Once, the client would have to pick up those 20%. Secondly, your whole book keeping can become unglued if the majority of your work is W2. Suddenly the whole expense scenario might collapse because the regs are quite different for employees.

IMHO it's best to either work W2 (for an employer or your own corporation) or 1099, not mixed.

I wouldn't mind at all to pay a reasonable fee but I guess that goes against the grain of the public license idea.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You're working for people who would hire a corpse...

My- that is one detailed factoid there- how does your small brain hold all that useful information. Hold on, it was not a lot and it was not useful, 'splains it...

LOL- you sound just like a little girl writing about her experiences at summer camp...what a friggin femme!

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

[snip]

Fred!?!?! You mean your company hired Keith ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Well, if I wasn't a corpse when I was hired in, I sure as hell was one when I left...leave it at that:-)

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Go apply for a job at the unemployment office. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So you are a welfare queen, like Slow'. Figures.

--
Keith
Reply to

Just because we don't have to work 75 hours weekly, like you do, to do a maybe 2 hour job, does not make us welfare queens.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Hi Jeorg, Strange that you didn't see my post. I am now using Agent instead of Netscape, but the server is out of Verizon. I just use the IEEE alias to help filter the spam a bit...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

A PE comes in helpful on any government contract, even for low voltage systems. They pretty much want that entire building signed off for compliance with codes and standards. I ran into the same thing back when I was working on toll roads. Everything that I designed had to go through the PE's hands for sign off before it could go on the road...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

No, you're a welfare queen because;

1) You live off others 2) You're a queen
--
Keith
Reply to

Looks like you're not getting back from work until late, eh, pussy troll non-producer? Just because you're stupid, and therefore not very capable, which requires you to work 10x-100x longer than an able person, does not mean you're not a welfare queen. The people you're working for, again, are unscrupulous garbage like yourself, they probably considered you a find because 1) the more hours a mental midget like yourself works, the more they can bill the government, and 2) you're too stupid to get bored and used to plodding away endlessly on pointless projects, so you'll be there awhile...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Is pussy striking out again, pretending to be such a clever wit? You don't convince anyone, it's all the same witless simple-minded crap from another useless sniping pussy troll. You don't know anything about electronics, and you're too stupid to learn, so why do you post to SED?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs