Re: Anyone from Iowa lurking here?

What about the next town downstream?

Don\'t hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Us back-country hicks are smarter than that....

...Jim Thompson

Ok. A dam. Then what about the last town upstream?

If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a thumb.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Paul, It would be helpful if you actually did some research instead of just thrusting leftist weenie whining...

Did you read _any_ part of that URL?

The are a whole series of dams (and locks) on the Ohio, plus it's been dredged from Pittsburgh all the way south to the Mississippi, to guarantee continuously-available barge traffic... and flood control.

Most of the towns in WV have some kind of flood control walls. I don't know about the other states. But you don't seem to hear of Ohio River induced flooding.

A few weeks back, when the whole of the mid-West was getting _lots_ of rain, Huntington got over 6"... didn't faze them a bit.

...Jim Thompson

oded

Ohio

', so

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

ls

Richard Henry

so

Your reading retention is abysmal (seems to be a built-in trait of leftist weenies). What does the word "dredged" mean. If you'd bothered to read my post _and_ the URL carefully, in spite of excessive rain, Huntington _still_ has a flood margin of 22'

Yeah, sure! Make 'em suffer so you can sell them on voting Democrat ?:-)

I repeat, there hasn't been any flooding in Huntington since _1939_.

...Jim Thompson

At whose expense?

You can't just make acre-feet of water disappear. Its going to go somewhere. Worse yet, successfully controlling the smaller floods puts the property owners in a state of complacency. Worse yet, instead of getting flooded a little bit every few years, when the big one hits and tops the dams, the damage is worse.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

What an odd assertion. Find a drainage map, the does Ohio river flow through WV? Maybe waay upstream? Check with a hydrologist, it makes a difference.

Reply to
JosephKK

[snip]

Ignorance of geography is no excuse :-)

"Waay" upstream is Pittsburgh, PA

"Wayy" down stream is Cairo, Illinois

The portion of the Ohio River between Pittsburgh and Huntington is dominated my mountainous areas with only small floodable plains occupied by cities such as Huntington.

That's part of why it was dredged, flood walled, and with multiple dams with barge locks.

...Jim Thompson

So where did you look that up?

Reply to
JosephKK

Hey! Fuckhead! Where do you think I grew up? Pay attention, already!

...Jim Thompson

I said no such thing. I said what is with Iowa with no modern flood control?

...Jim Thompson

Ohio

ow

akes

of

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Is that jumping to a conclusion?

Reply to
Richard Henry

So, you chose that data point to demonstrate that, in general, flood control dams do no harm?

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Its flat. Storing X acre-feet of water takes more acres. You just have to break the news to whomever owns those acres carefully.

Entropy: When your shoelace comes untied, you can\'t fix it
         by walking backwards.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

What height above the river did this flood reach? Build a concrete of more than this height along the river, with open sections for roads, bridge approaches, etc., then dirt berm both sides of the concrete wall. Close opening during floods with a reinforced concrete panel and sandbag.

This is what is used at Huntington. No floods since the wall went up after the infamous 1939 flood which looked very much like that in Iowa. My father-in-law joked about sitting on the roof of his house (two story) and splashing his feet in the water ;-)

Of course the river has since been dredged to a much deeper channel with dams and locks, and, unlike New Orleans, knows how to work with the US Corp of Engineers...

BTW, the Ohio River is more than a mile wide at Huntington.

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Yo, asswipe, i do not care if you swam the length of the river. I like verifying from time to time. And searches came up empty of even that class of information.

Reply to
JosephKK

Perhaps the reason for no flood walls or other engineered solutions in Iowa is that they've had two "five hundred year" events in one generation. Probable? No. Statistically possible? Of course.

That means that the last time most of this area saw water statistically was when Columbus was sweet-talking Isabella. You really don't spend millions to protect areas that aren't affected for literally dozens of generations unless you are one of those leftist weenies that want no taxes except for stuff for YOUR town. Which is it, Jim?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

[snip]

JosephKK, You've been cranky all week... you sick?

Surf on "Greenup Dam", or "Huntington, WV", or (floods+Ohio River+US Corp of Engineers)

I posted a URL a while back that took you straight to a discussion of flood control on the Ohio River.

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Hundred year flood designations are the most farcical con jobs in the world.

Scottsdale had three "hundred year floods" in ten years, then built, with assistance from the US Corp of Engineers, the Indian Bend Wash park system... which serves as a big drain all the way to the Salt River... between floods it's one of the nicest (and largest) parks in the world.

Do you listen to the news? ... virtually same deal in 1993 ... Iowan's appear to be slow learners.

Plus you ignore that they had levees... dirt only... and "maintained" with the same competence level as in New Orleans.

US Corp of Engineers assistance is there for any community that takes the initiative to think about protecting themselves.