Will the Daylight Savings Shift Do Us Any Good?

Ryan Kellogg and Hendrik Wolff at UC Berkeley say no,

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

This one always puzzled me as well. Where is the proof that it does? From an EE point of view the task at hand should be rather simple. Measure the total electricity delivered the week before and the week after, weather-correct it, correct for holidays and so on, then take a look. Did it drop? If the change remains in the noise for several consecutive years we could chalk up the whole thing as myth.

Then we could compare change statistics between states with DST and states without DST such as Arizona. That should deliver a significant delta. If there ain't no delta, well then...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Who cares? I'm never going to get that hour of sleep back. :-(

Don\'t get even -- get odd! :¬þ
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Don't need some Big Brane analysis of this stuff.

See... Introduce an extra hour one day and make a profit from it.

Simple, innit?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

and Saskatchwan in Kanada

That should deliver a significant

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

DST has killed far more people (mostly the spike in traffic accidents) than that war thing over there.

John

Un bel giorno Winfield Hill digitò:

IMHO it's more a matter of quality of life, rather than energy savings.

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

brightness!!!!!

Historically Arizona has no DST because of drive-in theaters.

...Jim Thompson

I didn't even think about energy savings when I heard the new times. I just thought about how nice it will be having more light at night. The biggest impact, will be halloween'ers going out into the brightness!!!!!

greg

Reply to
GregS

Sure you will, in November.

--
  Keith
Reply to

And likely has cost a lot of productivity for even a lot more... Sleep deprivation is a known torture technique, exercised on a mass scale with this clock turning nonsense. I have not had to get up in the morning to march in time through some sort of door for >20 years now and still remember what a nightmare it used to be - sure I am not the only one who happens to know that (brain not working if sleep deprived, that is).

Dimiter (switching to "kill" mode when it comes to daylight saving mass torturers... :-)

Reply to
Didi

But it seems that everything freezes there in the winter anyhow. When I got off the plane in Saskatoon one January I thought someone had bitten into my nose. Had been in AZ before...