rant: Sears Sucks

I don't like having to invest time preparing a meal, baked goods, etc. -- only to be *disappointed* in the outcome. E.g., 12 hours to make 16qts of "spaghetti sauce" would have me grumbling each time I consumed any of that batch if the "tomatoes were lousy"! (and the idea of DISCARDING all that sauce is anathema to me!)

Driving 20 minutes to the nearest "oriental grocer" that *might* carry the items we seek (and, more often than not, *won't* have stock on hand) means its more effective to drive *45* minutes to the grocer that *will* have stock! Having invested that much time, you don't want to buy "QTY 1" and make the trip again next week! (so, we buy "case lots" just to avoid wasting all that travel time)

Reply to
Don Y

Seems that this thread has drifted seriously off-topic.

What's up with that 'lifetime' warranty on Craftsman hand tools?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Been awhile since I returned a Sears tool... but the last one was an end wrench I had "assisted" with a length of pipe ;-) Bent in the middle. Replaced without even so much as a smirk.

However, in a recent trip to Sears to buy a reamer, shown on-line to be "in-stock" at my nearest Sears... it took 3 CSR's nearly 20 minutes to find it on a shelf in the store :-( ...Jim Thompson

That is nothing new. When I was a kid I tried to return a ratchet that had quit. The local store where it was bought said they don't exchange them, they rebuild them, but were out of rebuild kits. Returning a month later I was told the same thing. I had to drive to another town where the store cheerfully replaced the ratchet. The local store would have had to eat the cost and knew they could get away with it.

--

Rick
Reply to

Well, the general theme is customer service. Sears lost a $2200 order because nobody showed up and nobody would talk to me. This happens across all industries, including electronics. Most companies are doing everything they can to make their customers talk to obtuse machines, or call centers in the Phillipines, or solve one anothers' problems on "forums." Even email contacts are unavailable.

We are having some problems with some Fujitsu sealed relays, possibly our fault. (Gohm leakage from water getting in during assembly.) The email contact and the USA sales office phone numbers are on the data sheet. I called and immediately talked to a guy, and he contacted the factory, and I got a bunch of answers the same day.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think Don and most other people don't understand how retail sales works. The store doesn't really pick what they sell on their shelves as much as auction off the shelf space. If you want to sell a product in stores, you have to rent the shelf space. If another vendor offers more for the space, they get it and you are out. The rent includes a monthly payment plus a guaranteed sales level. So the store is taking little risk.

All the large chains do this. So as new products want to make a splash, they buy lots of shelf spaces and displace products you are happily buying. It's not just TJ and Costco that market this way. Nearly all chain stores are run this way now.

--

Rick
Reply to

A friend bought a new model enormous GMC diesel pickup truck- the software and hardware issues would be funny if they were not so sad. He didn't even know what DEF was before buying the thing.

Seriously good & good news. Japanese companies used to be totally useless unless you were a huge customer.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

This is a good policy, particularly when they aren't paying for the return. They'll return it to the manufacturer for a refund. Large chains have unbelievable clout.

I can't remember the last time I had any problem returning anything to any store. I probably wouldn't have returned the "protein drink" but I do return a fair amount of stuff.

If they keep buying it, obviously there isn't a problem.

Perhaps they're just more vigilant.

We haven't been a Costco member for over a decade (none in the area) but they had Kirkland batteries and tires when we dropped our membership. In fact that was the reason we dropped it.

I like the Kroger brand better (they sell both). Go figure.

Reply to
krw

Microsoft stores are clean and bright. I haven't noticed that their sales people are any worse. My DIL thinks Windows 10 is really good. Win-8 isn't so bad as long as you stay away from the tiled view (whatever it's called).

FPGA folks give away their software too.

Reply to
krw

Ditto Lattice. They've even written code for us (and taken us to lunch - several times ;). LT, too, and I have never used their stuff

- too expensive (I use mostly TI switchers).

Reply to
krw

People actually buy Crapsman tools these days?

Reply to
krw

In a limited way. Multicore compile capability costs more. The free software won't do the larger chips. Lots of features cost big bucks. The software, especially Xilinx, is horrible and there is no support. I guess if you're making TVs or something and plan to buy a million chips a week, you get support.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 08:33:24 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

I don't think you know what the fringe is.. You're a fully immersed lunatic.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I guess the rest of the FPGA design world just muddles by somehow...

BTW, there is some open source FPGA development software now... from HDL to bitstream, so the chip vendor's software is no longer needed at all. From my post in the FPGA group...

Now you can complain about the lousy support from FOSS tools if you wish.

--

Rick
Reply to

We design stuff. We build it. People usually buy it. We have fun. If you can think of a better way to make a living, go for it.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sure... government service. They write laws. They create problems that generate more laws. People usually swallow the party line. They lie, cheat, steal, and tax. As long as the GUM (great unwashed masses) continue paying their "contribution", they grow and remain. Every year billions of dollars are lost or not accountable. When someone occasionally gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar, nothing happens. I couldn't contrive a better system for making a living.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

TV Game Show host??

Reply to
Don Y

Except if you possess a conscience and like to sleep at night.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But do they have fun?

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Is there software given away by the FPGA folks which is non-committal?
Reply to
John Fields