rant: filenames (2023 Update)

Gold coin isn't a lot of use as a currency for daily living. There are random empty shelf shortages in the supermarkets but nothing major. It is random things each week. Like it used to be in Russia. Breakdown of the JIT supply chain after Brexit has become a serious problem.

There are way too many people having to go to foodbanks but that is because we have a heartless Tory government up to its neck in sleaze running the country. They tried to tear up the rule book for taking bungs only last week and are in the maelstrom for it now.

It is unedifying to see our PM at COP26 stating unconvincingly that "Britain is not a corrupt country" when one of his predecessors was involved taking money to promote a hand sanitiser company in parliament. Some very questionable huge contracts during the pandemic have gone to mates of minsters without any competitive tender or suitability checks.

The Brexit ferry and freight company with no docks, no ships, no experience and T&C's copy and pasted from a Chinese Take Away was another.

One of the companies responsible for the ill fated test & trace scheme has a previous *convictions* for defrauding the Ministry of Justice! You really couldn't make it up!

I suspect things are about to get a lot worse. UK Covid levels are way too high and yet again our government is sleep walking into disaster.

They will "follow the science" to use their words but about a month too late to do us any good. It is going to be a very tough winter.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:09:34 +0000) it happened Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in <smj15v$17et$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

Things are getting worse here in the Netherlands too. The 'outbreak management team' has now suggested to the government to 'introduce a 2 tier society with QR codes', and for the not inoculated AND those testing not positive for covid no QR codes are given anymore, so no entry anywhere. This means war as far as I am concerned.

So even if you have been tested and have no covid you are treated as a pariah. Those who have natural immunity are victimized and the Medical Industrial Complex kills and kill and kill with it crap vaccines. Having no access to food and other essential things is fascism and a death sentence to many! World upside down. Global thermonuclear war is the answer.

System failure!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi John, Agreed, some human-interpretable info should be in the file

Some standard naming convention, like that used for government-spec standard parts, would be good. Taxonomy management is a whole job by itself. Large orgs have people to do this work.

As a DIY tool, I found this to be helpful, to make PDF's (part datasheets) have more info.

"File Metadata"

Now when I select a PDF in File explorer, the "Details Pane" has many more fields available to see & edit. I.e., In 'Comments' describe what the document is about.

regards, RS

Reply to
Rich S

You are obviously too young to remember the good old days when we had to have datasheets and databooks mailed to us. And, then, you had to have a room full of bookshelves to hold them all.

Reply to
Flyguy

There's usually a save dialog, with your choice of folder location and file name.

The folder is important, as it reduces search and resorting tasks in the future. Saving it straight into the relevent network library makes sense, with a copy to the recent work folder where it may be needed soonest.

The title and author surname is a good choice, along with relevent info that might already be in the file name, like publication and date. Place in a folder that covers the subject.

For hardware 'PN xV ymA zSPDTspecialchar MFR' in a relay folder, even if it is an entire catalog, or data sheet covering a multitude of variations.

Otherwise a descriptive name for contents, mfr name and date of publication, for catalogs you haven't time for.

There was an issue, once, where directory letter length exceeded DOS capability, so subdirectory stacking was cramped.

Haven't hit that in 64bit OS, yet.

If you haven't got time to read the doc, to find out what's in it, then you can't really need it that badly - best to skim first before saving, otherwise it might just as well be trash.

RL

Reply to
legg

Relax, let Microsoft do it . . . . ;-p

RL

Reply to
legg

I remember those days very fondly. When I was a young teenager, I had a subscription to Motorola Update. It didn't cost a lot, and every quarter I got a good-sized box (about 1.5 cubic feet IIRC) jammed full of Motorola's latest databooks. The transistor and linear books were familiar, but there were also (to me) exotic things such as TTL register files, bit-slice processors, MECL III logic, MOS memory, MNOS nonvolatile storage, all sorts of stuff.

Made me feel like I could become a real designer, though I knew I wasn't, yet.

I still have probably 30 selected databooks on my shelves.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

At one point I threw out a dumpster load of data books, but I still have a couple of shelves of the classics.

My old flea market TI Semiconductor manual is a gem.

jlarkin

with all due respect....fix the name as best suits you own individual filing system and move on. Get a copy of Adobe PDF and chop it up as you see fit. If you are really clever, create your own data base that best suits your needs. I am thankful that these things are online and can be downloaded in a few tenths of a second as opposed to snail mail or relying on distributors to drop off a load of data books.... J

Reply to
Three Jeeps

OK, assume I rename it and save it. Some time later, I download the same data sheet and since the name is goofy, rename that one and save it too. Sensibly, to a different name.

Versions get more interesting. With luck, you can open a PDF data sheet and see what version/date it is. Not always.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yeah, that big red binder: it's the perfect custom icon for a folder full of semiconductor datasheets. And a mustard-yellow book for logic jellybeans...

Hey, not everyone is looking at a list of names when they search for a file or folder... pix are the wave of the post-literate future!

Reply to
whit3rd

That better be sarcasm. Win 10 locked up during an update yesterday. I had to reboot several times before it started tto actually do the update. It had been hung on 'restarting' for over an hour when I did the first reboot. (It was middle of the night and I had dozed off.)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Am 14.11.21 um 22:03 schrieb Michael Terrell:

yes, I run it in a VMware machine under Linux supervision and normally it has no internet. It is unvisible from the net side and all it sees from the universe is the d: partition shared with the Linux host. That has the nice effect that it does not reboot when it thinks my computer belongs to Microsoft and not to me.

Like every other week I let it free last Friday for an hour, so it could do its update voodoo. Downloaded half the world, istalled it, rebooted a lot of times, found out that the install was not so good, uninstalled everything again, rebooted twice as often as before.

Then I found that my screen had new hot spots; when my mouse ran there, pictures of ugly celebrities popped up, including endless stories of their lifes.

It took me 2 hours until my CAD machine was usable again.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

mech_eng_jw.pdf is mechanical engineering for jehova's witnesses, of course.

Reply to
aioe usenet

Microsoft is always offering stupid places to save documents, requiring repeated directory navigation.

They even create 'my document', 'my music' and similar directories, buried somewhere in the 'user' pile-up.

It seems to remember some previous directories, but can't do repeated saves to the same place, unless it's the directory that the document originated from, prior to save.

When you do get the thing into the right directory, with a suitable file name, the original remains unaltered in a stupid place for posterity, for ever, unless you can find and erase it. Same is probably true of every executable, installer etc etc, not to mention browser trash.

If there weren't Terabyte HDDs, windows users would be in the toilet.

I've always created my own directory structure, holding, where possible, related files and programs where they can be found using the minimum of reason.

Strangely, a ecent Linux distro that I'm trying to adopt doesn't seem to allow this - even going so far as to deny the existence of navigable disc and directory structures. Can't fathom that philosophy.

RL

Reply to
legg

I think everything in that sentence is wrong :)

Yup.

It is amusing that recent versions of Windows have reverted /users (I think), just as MS used 40 years ago in their other operating system, Xenix.

Which one? That will allow me to ignore it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:29:32 -0500) it happened legg snipped-for-privacy@nospam.magma.ca> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It should be no problem on any decent Linuxx distro to make your own partitions and directory structure. And then use updatdb and locate to find files. panteltje20: ~ # locate -i lm317 /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switching-regulator-schematic.png/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/backup/LM317_switching-regulator-schematic.png/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switcher/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_test_setup_img_2318.jpg/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_no_100nF_img_2320.jpg/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_no_.25_Ohm_img_2319.jpg/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_diagram_img_2316.jpg/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_final_img_2312.jpg/home/ftp/pub/LM317_switcher/home/ftp/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_test_setup_img_2318.jpg/home/ftp/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_no_100nF_img_2320.jpg/home/ftp/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_no_.25_Ohm_img_2319.jpg/home/ftp/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_diagram_img_2316.jpg/home/ftp/pub/LM317_switcher/LM317_switcher_final_img_2312.jpg/root/compile/pantel/laser_arrow_com/LM317.pdf/root/download/html/LM317.pdf/root/download/html/LM317_switching-regulator-schematic.png/root/download/html/155585-da-01-en-SP_REG_LM317LZSTM.pdf panteltje20: ~ # locate -i lm317 | grep -i pdf /root/compile/pantel/laser_arrow_com/LM317.pdf /root/download/html/LM317.pdf /root/download/html/155585-da-01-en-SP_REG_LM317LZSTM.pdf

But then I am always root. panteltje20: ~ # whoami root

When I read about all that microsoft circus so sad, such a waste of time and bandwidth. This laptop I am now on runs Linux Slackware from 2011 panteltje20: ~ # uname -a Linux panteltje20 2.6.37.6 #3 SMP Sat Apr 9 22:49:32 CDT 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux I can boot latest? debian too, but much is then screwed up like for example the screen color...

So 10 years without updates and no problems! Only thing that is no longer working on some sites is the Seamonkey browser, too lazy to compile something more recent,

My Raspberry Pi4s have a recent Chromium browser if I need one.

Microsoft is just snake oil sales like F35. [and covid vaccins]. 'grml' was a good simple distro, runs on a real PC upstairs, is basically Debian for sysadmins.

you can install to harddisk too.

Slackware is much a one man show and internally consistent

Debian is easy for the not do much in depth ones but some thing are broken, updates are easy but may break things, Best is almost always to compile from source...

But then again Unix you may have to have been with it from way back perhaps. But it is everywhere by now, even in space.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The unix filenaming system is broken by design. Their file names are case dependent; and this is so deeply entrenched because of legacy etc. there is zero chance this will ever be fixed.

I know this post of mine will put the linux users in fuming mode but it is the reality - and they will be fuming because they know it.

Dimiter

====================================================== Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Nov 2021 17:35:02 +0200) it happened Dimiter_Popoff snipped-for-privacy@tgi-sci.com wrote in <smtun7$6v6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is super good!

And that is a GOOD thing! You need to learn how to search with locate -i As you likely know mA is not the same as MA and mOhm is not MOhm

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:smtvrm$17cm$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Just proved his meter is dim. Har har.

He's probably an old Novell Network/OS programmer.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno