Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

I am a beginner to be embedded world, and I have been looking around
to purchase a simple development board to experiment on. Since I am
doing this as a hobby, I am restricted to low-cost options. I came
across the following board while I was doing a google search.

http://www.insight.na.memec.com/Memec/iplanet/link1/VirtexIIProLC_1.pdf

It is based on the Virtex II Pro FPGA that contains a PowerPC
processer and a bunch of reconfigurable logic cells. It costs about
$195 for the board alone (I had a limit of $200). I have access to any
necessary test equipment in the lab in which I am working. I am
planning to use this board to learn things like cross-compiling the
Linux kernel, installing the kernel and device drivers (if they are
available), developing simple programs, etc., It looks like a good
option because I can also experiment with Verilog/VHDL programming.

Has anyone already worked with this board before ? Is it a good
investment for a beginner hobbyist ? Are there better/cheaper
(beginner) alternatives out there ?

I am familiar with the Linux OS and I have been developing
applications in C/C++ for a while. I have just started reading about
Kernel internal, device drivers, etc., and I looking forward to
beginning my journey into Embedded Linux.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Vijay.

Beginner Question: guide me where to start with in understanding Embedded
Hi

I am totally newbee to the embedded world.
long back i use to work on C. developed a project purely on C (user
interface,Database, logic) every thing on c.

but now i purely work on Database and Unix techonologies.
I am intrested and curious how things work in embedded systems.
i really dont know what stuff to read and what to start with.
any one had any comments for me and suggestions for me.

My first goal is to understand linux kernel.
i work with linux,sun solaris,IBM AIX, digital and oracle database
techonologies.

i play with linux a lot.

but dont know indepth about kernel.

please throw some light on my enthusiasm.

Regards
    chandra

Re: Beginner Question: guide me where to start with in understanding Embedded
Step 1.
don't steal other people's message threads.
If you're starting a new subject/topic, create a new message, don't reply
to someone else's and change it.

Step 2.
take a read around:
http://www.ucdot.org /
http://www.uclinux.org /
http://www.linuxdevices.com /

Have you built your own linux kernel on a desktop machine ?
You should know how this works before trying to build embedded kernels.

My advice would be just to remember that generally, an embedded linux device
is just like a stripped down linux PC.
take out everything you don't need in the kernel
take out all the applications and libraries you don't need
and shuffle things around a bit :)

good luck.

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     snipped-for-privacy@snapgear.com
Re: Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

all that can be done with ~50$ Linksys WRT54G Acces Point. Linux
allready ported in. 16-32MB ram, 2-4MB Flash, 125-200Hz MIPS.

If that is important then go for it.

Linksys for Linux all the way - you CANT beat commodity hardware
prices.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019

Is the source that Linksys released sufficient to build a modified
kernel and boot it?

From this posting it seems it is:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m10%6579161603430&w=4

But Googling I havn't found many pages discussing using the released
code.

Tony

Re: Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

You dont need Linksys code. There are at least three independent
projects with patched kernels. OpenWRT, Sveasoft and the third one I
forgot :).

google for openwrt, google for asus WL500 B/G (same hardware + USB +
LPT ports).

Taiwan is beating the living crap out of western embedded board
makers. Thers no point in designing your own board if you dont
innovate. Commodity functions are implemented, debugged to death and
simply working in ~50$ soap box available in every suppermarket.

Pozdrawiam.