radar stoty

As one great thinker once observed,

If you're so smart, how come you're not happy?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm happy to debunk the misinformation in your posts unrelated to electronics.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Go on then - because you haven't so far. Assertion != debunking.

All you've done is made some rants unsupported by reasoning nor evidence.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Stop feeding the troll and deprive him of a podium. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Overview-type treatments, too:

Instruments of Darkness by Alfred Price

Most Secret War by Reginald Victor Jones (aka The Wizard War)

The local public library is very good, but has approximately NONE of these volumes; like Electrons and Holes in Semiconductors, and (4ed) Radiotron Designers' Handbook, you'll need to go to online booksellers or interlibrary loan.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's a pretty thin sort of happiness.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Or find it online:

Electrons And Holes In Semiconductors by William Shockley 1950

Radiotron Designers Handbook 1954 Edition

Radiation Lab Series

Reference Data For Engineers

Steve Wilson

Why didn't they share it with their Japanese allies, who still used accustic detection?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The Wizard War is an excellent read.

With abebooks.com, nothing ever goes out of print. :)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That strategy hasn't worked on you...so...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's quite some stoty you found there.

You are paranoid.

I sincerely doubt that. Most of what I describe was from one of the inventors of the refined VT proximity fuse (although I only found that out when he died). He told plenty of stories of wartime events and breakthroughs that were entirely unrelated to any sort of funding. He was already retired and an emeritus professor at the time.

Remember I'm in another country. The Germans did have a serious heavy water programme but they were barking up the wrong tree as far as making a viable nuclear weapon. They did however have WMD as nerve agents Sarin and Tabun which could have been game changing had they ever been used. They even had Soman in small amounts in 1944.

It was possibly only the secrecy surrounding DDT that gave them the impression that we also had stockpiles of powerful chemical nerve agents when in fact we had mostly mustard gas and phosgene. MRAO site at Lords Bridge was a former forward CW site in the UK - even today the bunkers provide a nice stable home for their optical interferometer COAST.

Westerbork is still a working Dutch radio astronomy observatory.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

ersary_pourville_raid/

The first person accounts by primary players are almost always delusional. As a side note, it turned out the same Fuchs of atomic bomb espionage fame also gave away the technical details of the proximity fuse. That moron Bald win or Balderdash or whoever had claimed that keeping the secrecy was as gr eat an achievement as the technology itself! He's a useless idiot. Almost a ll the first hand account history from that era, on any matter whatsoever, is pure bullshit.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Surely, the technical details of the proximity fuse were given away the first time it was used over enemy territory and failed to work. This must have happened within days of such use.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

There is no record of Germany discovering our use of the technology (correct me if I'm wrong). Fuchs gave it to the Soviets.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

imagine having to dismantle a bomb you are not sure how works

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

m:

rote:

onal.

fame

was

t.

ust

They made a movie about that back in the 50s or something. The plot had sev eral technicians get blown up. They were relaying each and every move they made by telephone to people in safety, so they had a record up to stage N, turn this left, BOOM, next man turned it right and so on, until they got it right.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why this need to refute the wild-ass views of a poster that no one but you ever reads? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

-------------------------------

** A fact the Allies were very aware of - initially the use of VT fuses was limited to the US navy, so any duds would fall into the ocean.

The first large scale use was in the "Battle of the Bulge" when General Patton declared it changed the face of warfare. It was also reckoned the Germans would need a minimum of six months to make a working copy and longer to mass produce them.

The bigger fear was them discovering countermeasures, the USAAF proved that a simple VHF sweep generator installed in a target aircraft detonated VT fuses at a safe distance.

Masses of VT fuse equipped shell were used against V1 flying bombs in southern England, no risk there.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The prox fuze was not released for use in europe until Patton was dashing towards Germany. They figured that the Germans didn't have enough time left to copy it. Patton loved the "funny fuze" mortar shell, and it terified the German ground troops. It was used against the kamakazes in the Pacific, but the duds couldn't be recovered from the ocean.

Prox fuzes were used earlier in England against bombers. It reduced the ac-ac shells-per-kill by some huge ratio, 20:1 or something like that. It's hard to hit a plane with a bullet.

The Germans did capture a magnetron from a crashed allied plane, but apparently didn't appreciate it.

One thing WWII did was enormously increase the presige (and the funding) of science and electronics.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den fredag den 25. august 2017 kl. 01.32.29 UTC+2 skrev bloggs.fred...@gmai l.com:

com:

sional.

ge fame

ron

cy was

iot.

ter

he

must

everal technicians get blown up. They were relaying each and every move the y made by telephone to people in safety, so they had a record up to stage N , turn this left, BOOM, next man turned it right and so on, until they got it right.

"Lieutenant-Commander Lewis and Able Seaman Vearncombe to watch from what w as considered to be a safe distance and make detailed notes of our actions and progress for reference in case of accidents"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen