BF862 discontinued?

Looks like NXP are phasing out the BF862:

Any alternatives in mind for simple low-noise transimpedance frontends and bootstraps? Having just started to design things using the BF862, I quite liked the fact that you can get reasonable noise performance without having to deal with (bootstrap/?) huge amounts of drain capacitance.

I'm looking for something with

Reply to
David Nadlinger

NXP is probably "not recommended for new designs."

lunatic fringe electronics

apacitance.

The BF862 looks to have been the best of the lot.

BF861 is still active, but at en = 1.5nV/rt hz (1MHz).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thanks for the heads-up. Fortunately ON recently introduced the CPH3910, which is about 1 dB better than the BF862 for my uses.

Anyway, I just ordered 3 reels of the one and 4 of t'other for insurance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Thanks, duly noted. Some day I'll have to try that in a very low voltage oscillator application. The BF862 excels in that domain as well (motes, energy harvesting and so on).

Always a good policy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Since Nexperia didn't take the BF862, I was sort of expecting this.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I was wondering about this as well (especially as they market it as being for AM car radios). But then, all the RF-ish stuff remained at NXP, so? ?David

Reply to
David Nadlinger

Do you happen to have any data on the RF performance or gate leakage? I've seen it mentioned by audio people, but the datasheet seems a bit sparse. I'll definitely test a few as well in my circuit, but I'd have to build a test jig to directly measure the parameters (although that's probably a useful thing to have anyway).

? David

Reply to
David Nadlinger

I always run JFETs at about 2.5V D-S, to get full transconductance with min imal heating and no avalanche gate leakage. In that mode the CPH3910 has hi gher transconductance and lower capacitance than the BF862, and about the s ame leakage, i.e. a couple of picoamps at room temperature.

BF862s run well at I_DSS, so I've sometimes used an op amp to adjust the ta il current to zero out V_DS. That way you can take the output straight from the bootstrap if you like, and of course it's good for IR photodiodes that don't like reverse bias.

With an I_DSS of about 30 mA vs around 12, CPH3910s run a bit warm at 0 V D

-S, so it's less attractive to do that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

V_DS?? You mean V_GS?? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Yes, of course, thanks. I said V_DS was 2.5V.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs