American Express Motor

Using magnets, coils and suitable frames, I think one can easily make a small toy motor. One might just have to start it spinning by hand. Now, I'm constantly getting junk mail from American Express and other credit card companies trying to get me to sign up. To entice me with the feel of having a credit card in my hands, they send a fake credit card which also serves as an advertisement, since it is magnetic and one can stick it on one's refrigerator. These unsolicited magnetic cards are starting to accumulate and what I'm wondering is whether, if one gets enough of them, one can actually stack them up and use the stack to make a reasonable toy motor and, if so, how many junk mail "credit cards" it would take.

If this works, maybe all school children and other people who might like to play with toy motors of their own construction should consider contacting American Express and asking to be placed on their mailing list for junk mail. This way the parasites can make a greater contribution to the education of the populace than a lab course at The School Of Hard Knocks For People Who Don't Understand How Credit Card Companies Operate.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

I think you should look at the site below, I had quite some fun with it , including an electrostatic motor still connected to my tv screen.It runs for a few seconds, when i switch the tv on or off.

Sjouke Burry

those fleximle fridge magnets are typically striped with north and south poles on the magnetic side.

stick two back-to-back and you'll note the cogging effect that the magneit stripes cause.

you'd have to slice them up and rearrange them or be content with a very small motor.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I don't think those magnets are strong enough. Also there is a polarization issue with these strip magnets. You an go to any of the hobby stores and buy descent magnets for very cheap.

--

JANA _____

[...]

  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and
  • comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston.
Reply to
JANA

It's possible to make a wire move in the

Reply to
CWatters