Q on Sony "professional broadcast" RS422 pinouts

I am developing a product which is to drive a Sony or similar VTR.

I have the DB9 connector pinouts

1 GND 2 RXA 3 TXB 4 GND 5 GND 6 GND 7 RXB 8 TXA 9 GND

and it's working OK.

However, for an unrelated purpose I need to know whether the RS422 product being controlled actually connects to *all* the pins marked GND.

I believe the straight-through DB9-DB9 cable normally used in these applications does have all nine pins connected through, but is it normal for the device itself to have GND on all of them?

Reply to
Peter

Not at all. In a "normal" DB-9, several of those pins are used for things like RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, and RI.

But a cable should go straight through and not care, as long as both ends are wired the same in the equipment.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

not quite, pins 1 and 9 are chassis ground the others are signal ground, but 5 is spare

So basically you have two sheilded twisted pair cables, each with a ground, and ignore the rest

But in patch fields I just used the twisted pairs only, it works fine, but that was with all the tech stuff chassis bolted to ground.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith