No Color from S-Video port on Sony 725P DVD player

Hi folks- all of a sudden, I have no color coming from the S-video port on this player. Color is there using the composite video port. Have looked at the back of the PCB in that area with a microscope, checked continuity from pin 4 (all pins, actually) through the traces- several resistors and one 100 nF cap appear to be all good.

Any ideas? I'd love to see a schematic of this unit.

Paul Nelson W5GNF snipped-for-privacy@qwest.net

Reply to
Paul Nelson

Are you sure that it is the dvd output and not the tv s-vid input? Did you try another s vid source to your tv?

Reply to
James Thompson

Hi, James. Yup, there are two other S-video sources running to the TV through a Sony DA333ES receiver; they both work fine. And I've switched things around to eliminate the receiver switching circuitry. Haven't put a 'scope on the outputs yet. Could have missed something; gonna take it over to a friend's place to doublecheck tomorrow.

James Thomps>

Reply to
Paul Nelson

Check the settings in the DVD menu, it may have defaulted to the wrong output. Or some units have a simple switch on the back of the DVD player. Dani.

Paul Nels> Hi folks- all of a sudden, I have no color coming from the S-video port

Reply to
Dani

Have you checked to make sure the output mode of the player is set to S-video? Many DVD players have a switch, or menu setting for S-video/component. In component mode it will only output the Y signal from the s-video.

Even if it's still set to S-video, it's worth toggling the setting just in case a software bug caused it to switch to component mode while still displaying S-video mode in the menu. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

This may sound too simple but... You said you switched around various inputs but have you tried switching the s-video cable? Sometimes they just develop an internal break for no apparent reason. Always try the simplest thing first.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver