DC power jack pinouts for Sony VAIO PCG-9G1L laptop

I would appreciate the pinouts for the Sony VAIO PCG-9G1L laptop, made around perhaps 2002. The jack when viewed from the rear has two pins in the center of the round barrel (not coaxial), neither of which shows continuity to case ground. The power input label states 19.5VDC at 3A.

I could take a 50/50 stab at the polarity, but I'd probably only get one chance ;) I'd rather not have to disassemble the beast to trace the circuit and would appreciate perhaps someone measuring the polarity of the power supply's DC cable if you have it, or any notes you may have.

NOTE: Sony docs don't contain power supply pinouts and previous attempts to get such data from Sony sites was futile.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Never mind, the two pins are actually a forked single pin and the jack is coaxial, although the barrel is plastic and the 'shield' is just a spring wipe contact. The two pins must have been part of a broken center conductor in the jack.

Michael

Reply to
msg

I would open the laptop and *remove* the power connector that goes to the jack. On my PCG-K23, the power cable can be readily unplugged from the power board. Now you can install the new jack and apply power without it actually being hooked to the laptop circuitry. Check the polarity of the incoming voltage before it gets sent to the power board and see if that matches the expected polarity. For example, one of the pins on the power cable should be common to the chassis and that would be the negative terminal of the jack.

Hope this helps.

--
David Farber
David Farber\'s Service Center