Puzzling

What's to speculate? They went to Mexico on a class trip.

Duh.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I'm kind of bemused at the hysteria over a few serious cases of the flu. On the TeeVee nooz recently, I heard a report that 36,000 people die of ordinary flu every year.

Ah - here's the cite[1]: "How many people get sick or die from the flu every year?

"Each flu season is unique, but it is estimated that, on average, approximately 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and more than 200,000 persons are hospitalized for flu-related complications each year. "About 36,000 Americans die on average per year from the complications of flu." ----

Cheers! Rich [1] Is this a "web cite?" ;-P

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

The alcohol sterilizes their blood. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Arizona students are affluent... they go as far in as Guadalajara and Cancun.

And, of course, Rocky Point ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Excellent point. It was recently discovered that higher relative humidity, not cold, is why flu travels better in winter.

Arizona's dry climate is a natural barrier.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

My leaf-blower guy is Caucasian, and independently wealthy. He just likes working outdoors ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You and I know about that. But Jim was doing his usual and I just added a clue for him, anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Do the Mexicans know this?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

AZ is

ir

Or that's what he tells Jim.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

So who pays for the test that would establish that a poor Mexican in Arizona had swine flu?

Visiting ER may be free, but diagnostic tests cost money.

And my own visits to ER (for injuries sustained while playing field hockey or practising do-it-yourself) never cost me any money, but did cost a lot of waiting time.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Just to add fuel to your good authority:

;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

My Dad was lab commander at that facility some years ago. I met and know a lot of the people.

I guess that makes me part of the plot. >;-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

:Puzzling : :(As of April 28, 2009, 11:00 AM ET).... : :State # of laboratory confirmed cases : :California 10 cases :Kansas 2 cases :New York City 45 cases :Ohio 1 case :Texas 6 cases : :TOTAL COUNT 64 cases : :Arizona is crawling with Mexicans... legal _and_ illegal, yet has no :reported cases of swine flu. : :Maybe it only affects Democrats ?:-) : : ...Jim Thompson

Perhaps nobody in Arizona knows how to count?.....

Reply to
Ross Herbert

is

Liberals - and anybody else who has some connection to objective reality - don't have much of clue about what Jim thinks is reality. He does rely on his imagination, bolstered by occasional chunks of Republican party political propaganda.

It reminds me of a tolerably comical passage in G.K. Chesteron's novel "The Man who was Thursday" where an anarchist complains that he has trouble passing himself off as Catholic bishop, despite his careful reading of the anarchist literature on the behaviour of Catholic bishops ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

The taxpayers.

Wrong again. Poor patients get free care and cannot be turned away. That means a free heart transplant, if that's what they need. Google "Octomom"--$2M in care, and she didn't pay a dime.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Are you kidding? It's posted in Spanish in the ERs, which are full of Mexicans who don't pay. And I do mean packed-to-the-walls full. The staff speak Spanish as often as English.

Half of all babies in certain Los Angeles County public are delivered to illegal immigrant moms, free.

They _come_ here for the care. And the schools. Etc.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

:On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:14:46 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." : wrote: : :>Jim Thompson wrote: :>

:>> Puzzling :>> :>> (As of April 28, 2009, 11:00 AM ET).... :>> :>> State # of laboratory confirmed cases :>> :>> California 10 cases :>> Kansas 2 cases :>> New York City 45 cases :>> Ohio 1 case :>> Texas 6 cases :>> :>> TOTAL COUNT 64 cases :>> :>> Arizona is crawling with Mexicans... legal _and_ illegal, yet has no :>> reported cases of swine flu. :>

:>Reported being the key word here. Perhaps the public health system in AZ is :>so bad that they have no idea who is dying of what. :> : :Liberals have no clue about reality. This is God's country. You :ought to check it out sometime. However, before you get enamored... :we average 109 days per year with temperatures in excess of 100°F. In :other words, "Welcome to Arizona, now go home" ;-) : : ...Jim Thompson

You had better state where in Arizona you are talking about which averages 109 days over 100 deg F. It certainly isn't in Phoenix which has only one month of the year where the average daily temp reaches as high as 91 deg F and that isn't anywhere near 100 deg F let alone for 109 days.

And while you are at it what is the average daily humidity during those supposed

109 days? We all know it is far easier to endure 100 deg F if the humidity is low. I distinctly recall having trouble breathing when it was around 32 deg C with humidity around 70% in Brisbane in February a few years back. I was glad to get back to our 40 deg C and 25% humidity.
Reply to
Ross Herbert

no

But it is a clinical choice whether the patient "needs" the expensive test, or the even more expensive heart transplant. I'm sure that the surgeon who carried out the heart transplant was delighted to be able to exercise his skills while being paid by the community. Ordering a virus identification for a sick and uninsured Mexican doesn't have the same glamour, and nobody gets brownie points for having done it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Posted in Spanish inside the ERs isn't much help to the Mexicans who are deciding whether to go to the ER in the first place.

Packed-to-the-rafters-full means that the ER is undersized and under- staffed, and the time non-bleeding patients have to sit there waiting to be seen by the medical staff becomes prohibitively long. If you do have a nasty case of flu, you won't want to sit in the ER waiting area for hours.

They may not ask the aptients for any money, but they do demand an exorbitant fee in time (and time is money, even for a low-paid illegal immigrant).

If their primary interest was in medical care and education, they'd have gone to Cuba.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

And there's poor little old Thompson... in the past month I've had 3 office visits, numerous lab tests, ultra-sound, CT scan, MRI, and, yesterday, DEXA... all paid by Medicare... on the leftist weenies' dime ;-)

...Jim Thompson