puzzling [and deceiving ?] Actel kit

Hello, I'm sorry for this post but I don't want to rant for nothing, being the optimistic guy that some people know...

I have finally got the ProAsic3 kit that I ordered in december. When powered up, it displays some stuff on a 1x8 LCD and blinks LEDs. Wow, I can do the same with a dumb PIC.

Now, I see that the kit has a 250K IC, and not a 1500K one. I just looked at the invoice and it was never clear what version was ordered (just "A3P-EVAL-KIT"). I feel really dumb, part one.

The huge box contains boxes, air, foam... they could have spared 2x the volume, hence shipping, as well as a CDROM : i get Libero 8.1 and 8.2. Thanks...... Anyway I'm sure that the 8.2 will be forced into me by Actel, while 8.1 will work on the Win2K that I reserve for EDA. Pleaaaaaaaaase don't make me install XP !

Now, what if I built a prototype board on top of the .1mil headers ? Well, Actel decided that a specific board must be done "the hard way", not using cheap and easily soldered 0.1mil pitch predrilled boards. They have shifted the headers 0.05 or 0.025mil so a predrilled board can't fit. Or was it a beginner's mistake ? (I know, I did it once). And don't tell me it's a measure of precaution because there are better ways to prevent a board from being inserted the wrong way. I feel stupid, part two.

I can stand the delay, or hack connectors. But now how do I register the software ?

asks me for "a unique software ID number [that] is located on the CD jacket". I find it nowhere. I have looked everywhere in vain. I feel really annoyed, part three.

I think that my patience has reached the limits. And nobody will buy this kit back, as it has already cost me almost 400 Euros. I thought that paying "the price" would provide me with something serious. Now all I got is a late, useless board with only 6,144 FlipFlop.

I'm sure that there are countless better Xilinx/Actel boards, either by the makers or 3rd parties, cheaper and immediately available. I made a choice and I stand by it, but it's going to end soon if it does not get better. It's not a disapointment anymore, it's deception.

Can anyone help me ? YG

Reply to
whygee

Yes, the Actel webpage clearly states the A3P-EVAL-KIT comes with a soldered A3P250 which is not particular big. However, the good news is that they use the PQ208 package so you might be able to change it for a A3P1000.

I had the same problem last year with ISE, so I am afraid that you have to go to XP which is becoming more expensive and difficult to get. Unfortunately Linux is still not a low-cost option.

Mine was on the CD carrier, I suspect you have one without a label. Speak to your local FAE/Distributor

That is indeed quite expensive, although comparing boards/fpga's is always difficult an equivalent S100 Spartan board can be had for as little as 45 Euros (Enterpoint Drigmorn1).

It is not that small, a 6805 + UART + simple timer (System05) only takes 40% (50% of an 3S100),

Alternatively, you can turn it into a very simple ping-pong game :-)

I would suggest you speak to your Actel FAE and see if he can change it for a Cortex-M1 board. It is a much better board and I got mine within 2 weeks so I assume they have some in stock (at least in the UK).

Of course there is always eBay....

Hans

HT-Lab

Hello again, Just to update on the Actel story : I have finally successfully created a (simple combinatorial) VHDL design, compiled it and run it on the A3P250 board. I feel so relieved... It's still a terrible SW pain, but at least i can try some stuffs.

yg

Reply to
whygee