Puzzling Problem of Using a LDO Regulator for the Power Supply of a Comparator

Recently I am using a NEGATIVE output low-dropout (LDO) linear regulator, TI's TPS72301, for the NEGATIVE power supply of a comparator (designed as: -9V input, -8V output). By the way, the positive power supply terminal of the comparator was connected to the output of a positive LDO regulator keeping okay all the time.

Initially, TI's TLC3702 was chosen as the comparator (dual per package). When turned on, as observed by an oscilloscope, the voltage at both the output and the FB terminal of TPS72301 creeped from the designed value, -8V, towards ground. The output of TPS72301 stops creeping finally at -1.5V ca, while the FB voltage at -0.6V ca.

I'm sure my usage of TPS72301 is okay, since another TPS72301 with the same circuitry (but used for power supply of some op amps) on my PCB works well. Thus the comparator, TLC3702, was suspected. As mentioned in its datasheet, TLC3702 was designed to operate from a SINGLE supply. To implement dual supply operation, another type of comparator, LM393, was substituted for TLC3702. However, its output needs additional push-pull. Furthermore, TPS72301 still did not work properly and this time its output turned to be -1.0V (I also replaced TPS72301 with a new piece before the 2nd test). All external components including the power supply security has been checked and no fault was found. Now I have to doubt whether TPS72301 can be used with general comparators.

I required TI's technical support by e-mail and the reply was that TPS72301 had better not be used here and the positive supply must be ensured during use of such a comparator. That called up an important detail in my design: a deliberate turn-on time gap between the positive supply and the negative (hundreds of microseconds). Is this the cause of my problem? Or TPS72301 itself fooled me? As for me, the latter is more likely.

Here list my next steps to study the problem:

  1. Remove the comparator and see whether TPS72301 works properly;
  2. If yes, replace LM393 with LT1018CN8 (a device of unique design, see pg. 8 of its datasheet, 'NEGATIVE Voltage Regulator') and see whether it is okay;
  3. If it fails, remove TPS72301 and connect the negative supply of the comparator directly to -9V input.

I would appreciate any instruction or information about the cause of the problem or the possible solution.

Reply to
Jiaqi

tlc3702 is push pull but only pulls down to gnd not -v. not sure if this is anything to do with this or not.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

What's the output of the TLC3702 connected to?

John

Perhaps I missed this in your text - what's going on with the -9V during the collapse of the -8V? How much current can the negative supply handle?

the problem is the solution Crom

Reply to
crominator

The comparator output is driving a N-channel MOSFET.

Reply to
Jiaqi

The external -9V supply keeps okay all the time. The rated current is

0.8A. As to TPS72301, the value is 0.2A. I'll examine the output of TPS72301 after removing the comparator. But that have to be done after a week's holiday. Now the laboratory is closed.
Reply to
Jiaqi
[pos/neg regulator troubel snipped]

I don't know what causes your problem, but as a rule I always put reverse-biased diodes between reg output and ground. That prevents any rail from getting pulled into the wrong polarity by the "opposite" regulator during transitional startup phases or some other fault (short between pos and neg rail), which could wreak all sorts of havoc in the supplee.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

At each input supply there put a proper TVS diode.

Reply to
Jiaqi

Jiaqi,

A couple of things come to mind after looking at the data sheet for the LDO.

One is whether the output capacitor, if electrolytic, might be reversed. The other is whether there is sufficient output capacitance, with the output capacitor having a low enough ESR for the regulator to be stable. The ESR is critical in some of these LDOs regarding stability. Have seen output oscillation on LDOs with what otherwise should have been good ceramic capacitors, but were a bit high on ESR.

To test this if you don't have something to measure the ESR, add some extra capacitors directly to the output to circuit ground.

If you have an oscilloscope available, look at the output to see if it is oscillating.

Make sure there is no extra capacitance on the feedback resistors. Depopulate the capacitor, if one is there, between the feedback pin and ground.

Crom

Reply to
crominator

Thanks for your remark, Crom. I appreciate your carefulness. Please read the facts listed in my first message:

As soon as the lab reopens, the output of TPS72301 will be checked with the comparator removed.

Jiaqi

Reply to
Jiaqi