Design impossibility : one NAND from a thousand XOR gates

The NAND gates can be used to design any digital function. Exclusive OR gates XOR are not so useful. If you are given a million XOR gates, you cannot design a single 2 input NAND gate using them. It is logically impossible.

Reply to
Alan Folmsbee

This should work:

lunatic fringe electronics

But... it might get a little hot with a H and L input.

Martin Riddle

Wired-AND is not a gate solution.

There was a Fairchild effort called (?) CML (current-mode logic) that was kinda like ECL, but without inversion. So, all the logic was followers, no inverters and only wired-OR. Logic margin dropped at each stage. The way to make it work, is every three or so stages, you had to have a latch or flipflop, which had positive feedback and both polarities of output.

The 'gates' were useful as analog followers, but I never saw any logic systems built of that technology.

Integrated injection logic and majority logic were also interesting, but mainly just footnotes nowadays.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks for that information, now we can all move on from our attempts to do it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Well... if the gates were realised with discrete fets, it could be done as one could then connect each gate's 8 inputs (the fets' gates) differently.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe a little. We're working against "impossible."

lunatic fringe electronics

Why not?

There are still CML parts around, gates and flops and comparators. We use some. NB7V52 is a CML out DFF good to >10 GHz, and only $12.

lunatic fringe electronics

If A is high and B is low (or vice versa) which one will win?

Reply to
John S

NAND is a pseudo-idempotent operator (A NAND A = not A) but, by inductive argument, all XOR-derived structures are either idempotent or non-idempotent.

Reply to
bitrex

That may be, but what made you even think of this? XOR gates are more transistor intensive than simple NAND or NOR gates. Why would you want to use XOR gates as your primary logic gate?

Rick C.

- Get 6 months of free supercharging - Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

It is as promising as, well, promised; it just got taken over by the easier-to-use CMOS.

I've applied IIL principles in a few analog circuits, for example a comparator and level translator with current consumption a fraction of an off-the-shelf gate drive IC.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Low. The NMOS has about half the resistance of the PMOS.

It's not CMOS though, it's NMOS. The PMOS is only acting as a pull-up resistor, a rather massive one at that (~10mA).

If one restated the proposition as "impossible with CMOS", or "impossible without violating connectivity rules", it would be correct.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

even though it's already been explained how it can be done :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

1977 time frame. The water cooled Honeywell DPS8 built in Phoenix and the air cooled Honeywell-Bull DPS7-80 both used CML.
--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

IIL was said to allow transistors to overlap slightly but I don't remember anything else about it. What principles could you apply to a discreet circuit?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Because it uses/assumes unspecified behavior. In CMOS , outputs-connected defines no valid logic state.

Reply to
whit3rd

We do that all the time. Besides, you can find curves for the internal fets in a gate.

The nfets will always win, especially at 3.3 volts.

The point is that the specified function is not impossible.

There are a couple other ways to do it. Have a try.

lunatic fringe electronics

The terms of the specification do not include the special case of a particular hardware implementation; the only fiunction offered was XOR.

The answer responds to a different question than the one posed.

Reply to
whit3rd

The OP didn't restrict the choice of XOR gate, or specify that ideal XOR gates had to be used. He said that it's impossible to make a NAND function out of XOR gates, so I did it.

Come on, play the game and give it a try. There are several other ways to do it, some even legal according to data sheets.

lunatic fringe electronics