Protel 99 SE and Windows Vista: Library problem?

Hi all,

I posted this in another NG with no luck so far. I was wondering if anyone here has a fix...

I thought Protel 99 SE was working fine in my Windows Vista laptop (I'm new to Protel) but after reading the manual I ralized I can't load any schematic or PCB libraries. I read in the net that this is a known issue with Protel with Vista.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Rodo

I replid else where to this. Turn off UAC "user access control" and be in Admin mode.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to

thats a bit more helpful than my suggestion - dont use vista :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I did and it didn't work.

Thanks

Reply to
Rodo

Then you are down to running a virtual copy of an operating system like XP that Protel 99 SE will work with under Vista or scrapping the resource hogging eye candy and going back to native XP which will work.

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Martin Brown

I like the way you wankers respond with shit that is totally useless to the OP.

Right click on the application and select the "run as administrator option". That might help.

Reply to
The Real Andy
[snip]

Nope, I tried that too. But thanks anyway.

Reply to
Rodo

I have not used Protel 99se for a while, but I need to in the near future. I am using Vista and intend on installing it in the next week. If you can wait that long I might be able to provide some more help.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I'll wait. No hurry. I'll keep monitoring this thread.

Thanks

Reply to
Rodo

FWIW my layout guy just got a new triple-core motherboard yesterday (the PCB is evil & slow - DRC took 11.25hrs on my 3GHz duo-core running XP SP2) which wouldnt load XP (a BIOS issue apparently) so he loaded VISTA, and 99SE worked first time.

but he (or more correctly his 9-yr-old son who is astonishingly good at this sort of thing) set himself up as god.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I see your problem. I found a work around. If you click on the find button (browse sch tab), then search throught the libs you can add them that way. Its a pain in the arse, but it works.

I used procmon (sysinternals) to have a quick look at why it might be failing, but nothing looks obvious. Also had a stuff around with security policies with no success, but my guess is that this is where the problem lies.

Reply to
The Real Andy

This one has been bugging me for a while so I thought I'd get stuck into it as I'm unfortunately committed to using Vista on my new laptop (actually I don't want to mess it up). It looks like an incompatibility or something in the comdlg32.dll as far as I can tell. Not sure about this but what I think happens is you select a file but only the path name without the filename is processed and guess what, it doesn't recognize it of course.

My workaround was simply to copy ADVSCH99SE.INI and ADVPCB99SE.INI files from a working copy of P99SE running on XP. Alternatively you can edit the INI files yourself and include the correct detail which should also work.

So now I can use Protel99SE on my Vista laptop and place components from my libraries - whew!

MANUAL HOWTO: I tried adding libraries in XP to locate the detail which I think is relevant below. Comments are in "".

File: ADVSCH99SE.INI Line: TypeCount=2

File0= File1=

File: ADVPCB99SE.INI Line: TypeCount=2

Count= File0= File1=

EXAMPLE PCB: (I added a heap of junk libraries just to check it) TypeCount=2 Count=13 File0=D>MSACCESS:$RP>D:\\!D\\CAD$RN>pbjlib.ddb$OP>$ON>CONNECT.LIB$ID>199$ATTR>0$E>PCBLIB$STF>

File1=D>MSACCESS:$RP>D:\\!D\\CAD$RN>pbjlib.ddb$OP>$ON>SMD.LIB$ID>200$ATTR>0$E>PCBLIB$STF>

File2=D>MSACCESS:$RP>D:\\!D\\CAD$RN>pbjlib.ddb$OP>$ON>PCB.LIB$ID>196$ATTR>0$E>PCBLIB$STF>

File3=D>MSACCESS:$RP>D:\\!D\\CAD$RN>pbjlib.ddb$OP>$ON>SEMI.LIB$ID>197$ATTR>0$E>PCBLIB$STF>

File4=D>MSACCESS:$RP>D:\\!D\\CAD$RN>pbjlib.ddb$OP>$ON>XMODULES.LIB$ID>201$ATTR>0$E>PCBLIB$STF>

File5=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>0.635mm Staggered Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>0.635mm Staggered Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File6=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>1.27 & 2.54mm Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>1.27 & 2.54mm Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File7=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>2.16mm Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>2.16mm Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File8=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>2.54mm Plain Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>2.54mm Plain Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File9=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>Edge Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>Edge Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File10=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>D Type Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>D Type Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File11=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>5.08mm Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>5.08mm Connectors.lib$ID>25$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

File12=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\\Program Files\\Design Explorer 99 SE\\!Library!\\Pcb\\Connectors$RN>Miscellaneous Connectors.ddb$OP>$ON>Miscellaneous Connectors.lib$ID>27$ATTR>0$E>PCBLib$STF>

BTW, I actually have my schematic and pcb libraries combined into one ddb file which makes it easy to maintain plus I don't need to add extra libraries in normal use. I also install my Protel and libraries outside of the "Program Files" directory which is always recommended plus it avoids any Vista Virus security problems.

Hope this helps.

*Peter*

Rodo wrote: > Hi all, >

Rodo wrote:

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Watch Video " Run Protel 99 SE on Window 7 & Solve library File Not Recognized Error"

www youtube com/watch?v=R7Orthw0L1o

Reply to
manu.manindera1

Watch Video " Run Protel 99 SE on Window 7 & Solve library File Not Recognized Error"

www youtube com/watch?v=R7Orthw0L1o

Reply to
manu.manindera1

Dear Friends,

I want to share the link of the video file which demonstrates how you can resolve the problem of "File not recognized" in Protel while adding libraries.

I have tested it myself & got 100% result. Give it a try.

Description of Video File on Youtube: Protel 99 SE "File Not Recognized" Library Error Solution "Windows 7"- Video Tutorial

Link of Youtube:

Regards SSJB

Reply to
manavsingh2794

critical file has been taken down.

Reply to
mike

  • Please, as I have the same issue with Windows 10, may you publish again the video as it is not more availabal in You Tube? Thanks***
Reply to
Pierks