Process to Produce Hydrogen from Water Using Sunlight Reaches 16.2% Efficiency, on Its Way to Meeting DOE Target

Right my tongue was in my cheek a little. But as a crazy idea, you fertilize some ocean area to get plants to grow, they suck up light and CO2, sink to the bottom of the ocean, and become oil and gas for our great great great..... (etc) grand kids.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I read that a spot in the South Pacific someplace where a supertanker-load of iron oxide could shut down the large-scale circulation of water to the poles by _fertilization_. Instant ice age.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The long-term reliability of offshore windmills will be interesting. They are expensive to maintain.

A good storm will blow away concrete seawalls.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, a windmill is the moral equivalent of an oil rig. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Whatever that means...

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Algae would be good; what we HAVE, though, is plantations of oil palms doing the dirty deed. Orangutans find the trees unfriendly. There's more fried food, dairy substitute, and soap applications than energy ones.

Reply to
whit3rd

t.

I'm not claiming to have figured out a good solution to this one. But I als o don't rule out the possibility of it happening. Tougher engineering chall enges have been solved before.

Eg an enormous wall in shallow sea. It might become cheap to make robots th at spend their lives constructing walls from rocks in the sea. As the wall gets longer, the water volume to wall volume increases, reducing the cost p er m3 and thus the cost of algae. Harvesting would be cheaper, just a pump & filter.

Another might be a set of pools in series with measures to move algae inwar d, so each pool has successively less algae concentration.

Or perhaps mangroves might provide useful shelter in a storm. Who knows.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And crab traps, and fish pens, and transoceanic cables and...

Reply to
whit3rd

No, electrolysis isn't crazy. Lye and bleach are made that way, you know. And it's how aluminum is refined from ore.

Learn to distinguish available technologies (useful, like electrolysis) from cultist wishful thinking (insane, like antivaccination). Then, apply the appropriate labels when discussing.

Reply to
whit3rd

and 2 litre drink bottles. But anything containing a worthwhile amount of algae would have to be a huge structure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You need to move on to more plausible science fiction.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thirteen trials and no strong evidence that it will do what's required.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thirteen! How many materials did Edison try before it found something that would allow a practical light bulb?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Only a lot taller and skinnier. And less profitable.

I wonder how many windmills it takes to make the energy equivalent of one good oil or gas rig.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

torsdag den 21. februar 2019 kl. 02.23.24 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

burning one barrel of oil you get ~1.6 MWh of heat

afaik the big offshore rigs can produce upwards of 250000 barrels a day according to google one of those cost an average of $650 million

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So roughly 10,000 big windmills. But the rig pumps oil all day, every day. So more like 50,000.

lunatic fringe electronics

Or a big pond.

lunatic fringe electronics

The vast majority of oil wells produce 15 barrels a day or less.

That works out to 1 MW. Wind turbines tend to be that same general capacity or newer units two or three times that size on land and bigger over water.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

it.

Numbers? And you really should figure in the damage done to the environment by the extra CO2 that gets injected into the atmosphere when the oil extra cted by the oik rig eventually gets burnt as fuel - clearly a little too di fficult for you, but any realistic figures would have to include it.

It's going to depend on the local windspeed (averaged over the year). Curre nt offshore turbines are good for 8.25 MW (Mega Watts), and if you've got m ore than ten interconnected wind farms it seems that you could rely on gett ing about 0.67 MW continuously from each one of them, averaged over the who le lot.

Archer, C.L.; Jacobson, M.Z. (2007). "Supplying Baseload Power and Reducing Transmission Requirements by Interconnecting Wind Farms" (PDF). Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. 46 (11): 1701?117. Bibcode:20

07JApMC..46.1701A. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.475.4620. doi:10.1175/2007JAMC1538.1

Of course oil fields run out, and the wind will keep on blowing for the nex t billion years or so.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Or a huge non-structure, like the Sargosso Sea. Or a huge natural feature, like an atoll. Or a lot of smaller non-structures or features.

Oil-filled fruits floating in salt water could be harvested like cranberries from a bog.

Reply to
whit3rd