How can I produce hydrogen using electrolysis at 3 psi? tia sal

How can I produce hydrogen using electrolysis at 3 psi? tia sal

Greetings All,

I'm trying to find a way to produce hydrogen at around 3 PSI continually over time using electrolysis. I'm currently using a Hoffman Apparatus, Epsom salt, and distilled water with palladium electrodes.

Is this possible? If not can someone suggest another route to take other than buying a 2000 PSI hydrogen tank.

Thanks Sal

Reply to
sal

The energy density of hydrogen at 3 psi remains approximately three watt hours per liter.

If your ap demands storage, you definitely should NOT be using electrolysis. Electrolysis is --> only

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Sure, it's possible to make pressurized hydrogen using electrolysis, but you certaintly can't do it with the classical Hoffman Apparatus. Also, for practical applications like a Jewler's torch, Espom salt is likely not the best possible electrolyte.

Google electrolysis or hydrogen generators to get some better ideas about what is needed for a practical hydrogen generator.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

I used to make hydrogen to fill lightweight garment bag balloons.

I used aluminum and lye. It made lots of hydrogen easy! No Electrolysis necessary.

NM

Reply to
~~NoMad~~

Hydrogen is being produced in abundance with a Cold Fusion Reactor, that is simple with the correct Power Supply and Electrodes. Directions can be found online. I am looking for the correct Power Suply is why I came to this group. If you have one, or know how to make the correct Isolation Transformer contact me and we can trade.

I am now here, and dont know how to contact anyone with Email. Maybe this will work

Reply to
Omicron

Cold fusion???? It is to laugh! A totally discredited severe error of many years oblivian. FK

Reply to
Fred Kasner

You can do it, but at 3psi you'll need a very large tank to store very much hydrogen.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

At 2000 psi you'll need a very large tank to to store very much hydrogen.

At 20,000 psi you'll need a very large tank to store very much hydrogen.

In fact the 20,000 psi tank will be larger than the 2000 psi one.

No energy dense means of gaseous hydrogen storage is known.

See

Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:46:34 -0700 in sci.electronics.misc, Don Lancaster wrote,

Alright, I'll bite. Why would the 20,000 psi tank be larger?

Reply to
David Harmon

The walls to hold the pressure. And that's a bit debatable - it's probably not quite that bad. But. Look at a pressure-volume plot of hydrogen at room temperature. Annoyingly, I can't find a link. Anyway. From memory and first principles. At 2000psi, the hydrogen is already not behaving as an ideal gas, but has got to the realm where if you squeeze it twice as hard, it occupies more volume than half. IIRC, this gets really noticable at 3000psi, and at 4000psi, it's not really compressing much any more.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Because of (1) its insane structural engineering and (2) the extra room for the compressor.

aka the law of diminishing returns.

Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I used to do that too. Built a gallon size generator from a solvent can and soldered a copper nipple on it and plumbed that through a water bubbler to cool the gas and put it in large latex balloons.

Sent them up at night with fuses attached. There'd be a dull Whump! and half the sky would light with a sodium flare.

Some kids in a nearby town are using the lye/foil in plastic pop bottles. They set them out on lawns in a residential neighborhood at midnight. The media, police, state investigators are treating it like a terrorist attack.

As a kid I built rockets and cannons, made gunpowder etc.. No one did more than complain about the noise, and that was rare.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

times have changed. I have noticed since about 5 years ago, I can no longer find KNO3 in stores. Lye is much harder to come by.

consumer pop-culture is taking fun tools away.

Reply to
Mike McWilliams

I don't remember KNO3 being in plentiful supply when I was young. Found a large dusty bottle on a shelf behind the counter in a pharmacy. I bought it for $2 and it must have held 4-5 pounds of the stuff.

Pure lye is hard to come by but something like Drano is easy enough to find. Plenty of sites selling soap making supplies on line.

Ain't that the truth.

Much of the scarcity may just be a lack of interest - or the pure forms of chemicals have been supplanted with brand name, heavily advertised, mediocre (but safe) crap.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Except to refine the aluminum!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Saltpetre, they're controlling that here too, and other nitrates, I think caustic soda is still available in hardware and paint places,

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts