PRIORITY SEARCH: Analog Electric Engineer

"ntlworld" says it all.

...Jim Thompson

You are both embraced in the 'etc.'

I'm surprised at that. In UK, and in Europe in general, where the terrain is not mountainous (and some places where it is), long distance (tens of miles) walking was not unusual at all until the early 20th century. And well after WW II, my father would walk five or six miles without mentioning it. He even did that during WW II after a night-shift at Woolwich Arsenal building and modifying tanks.

John Woodgate

There are a *lot* of etc's in the US.

Well, three miles may be an exageration, but I know many who haven't been out of this small state in their lives. One good friend (now 50) had never left the state until maybe ten years ago. This isn't unusual for the "natives".

--
  Keith
Reply to

Oh, please no! I don't think we could take it!

--
  Keith
Reply to

Neither - If you listen, you might learn - Just how much does it take to get something into a dense republican skull ?

Reply to
richard mullens

I'll be savaging you from my Bulldog broadband account soon - wait and see !

Reply to
richard mullens

It isn't that hard...

Just like in Santa Barbara, the city 'annexes' a strip of land out in the bay, that goes from the city limits to where the airport is, where it comes back on land. That way, you get the nice, revenue generating airport, but don't have to mess with all that other stuff in between your city and the airport.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

But, you don't even have to leave California for that! When I move to Borrego next week, I won't have ANY terrestial channels, and the nearest Costco is going to be darned close to two hours away...

But, yep, it is definitely remote!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Hello Charlie,

True, there are remote places out here. But doesn't Borrego even have an ISP? In that case the remoteness factor would drop to, say, 90%. If they offer DSL or ISDN it would be even less remote ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Cable modem is the main ISP there. That is why I can move there, give me high speed internet and a couple of phone lines, and I am at work!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Well, I am sure the mercedes and hummers are around. There are a lot of expensive places here and there, but the market for the Applebees and Starbucks is probably missing. From June to October, there are only about 3 restaraunts open, a taco place, a coffee shop, and a 4 star place that is either great, or terrible, depending on which cook is in... 8-)

Also, no chains of any sort, not even gas!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Nukes.

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Win, I filtered this "keith" character months ago. Don't waste your time.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Probably because he's a f****ng nazi, you dumb shit!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

is

They have that?

--
Cheers!
Rich

Sex, drugs, and welfare dependency.

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that

That's because they're not technicians, they're memorizers of formulae. I was dating a gal once, who had a house, and her back yard fence gate was scraping on the side walk. I said, "heck, all you have to do is raise up the corner, and put in a strut." In ten minutes, I had her gate opening smooth as silk. Later on, I overheard her talking on the phone to one of her friends about me, and she said, with almost a starry-eyed look, "He _does_ stuff!"

Sadly, I was apparently too much man for her, because she managed to weasel out of the relationship and make it my fault. Sigh.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

Oh - I thought you said, "When". I was about 7 years old, in Anoka, MN.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

Hello Charlie,

Well, that would drop the remoteness factor way down. With amenities such as cable I'd almost call it suburban. Pretty soon you'll see an Applebee's and a Starbucks. That happened out here over the last few years. Next would be a few Mercedes Benzes, Hummers and stuff like that.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

There goes the neighborhood. ;-)

--Mac