pretty stange board

They are G6SU-2 (3V latching) or G6S-2 parts, depending on dedicated function. These are not reed switches. Through-hole versions.

As I've said, this didn't appear to be a relay issue.

I would normally only use sockets in a burn-in or other dedicated test fixtures. They then determine when the fixture gets scrapped (ie number of insertions).

The most damage-prone features of these pluggins (apart from the FW issue raised here) seemed at one time to be the screw terminals used as sensor connection and the backplane connector.

RL

Reply to
legg

Honeywell makes (made?) HX9100 64x64 in cmos.

RL

Reply to
legg

That seems to be unidirectional, logic levels only. That could be done with an FPGA. I'd be afraid to get Honeywell's price for that thing.

Cute, but I need real analog, bidirectional switches. Up to +-200 volts, ideally.

You know about the Supertex/MicroChip HV analog switches, right? Electrically not nearly as nice as relays but much faster and presumably more reliable for long term use. e.g. HV2662 .

Reply to
Frank Miles

volts and I'm not sure that is OK really. I would like to find

I'm using now are good switches, but four of them run nearly $4.

--

Rick
Reply to

rically

le

The current is probably due to CMOS' multilayer doping structure; one or th e other of the CMOS polarities will always have an accidental PNP or NPN transistor parasitic. Thus, there may be leakage from the channel to the substrate. That curre nt only passes when the device is ON and carrying high-ish currents, and of course the wor st-case current will be at high temperature.

If I were making a busy-box tester, there would be 68 wires of logic-level ports with analog switch or tristate transceivers, and maybe a dozen relay chann els. Then, I'd configure the output ports using a whopping 128-pin Euro connecto r and jumper board to determine which wires connect to what. You'd want a hard-wired configuration code on the jumper board, to be sure your test jig puts the HV/high-current relays in the appropriate place before activat ing a test.

This reminds me of a project with a lot of cable-harness parts, where a tes t jig was designed that probed for opens, shorts, etcetera. The jig took a week to design and build. Testing all the cables took an hour and a half. Then, when the jig was ready to scrap; no one could do it. It sat on a shelf for a few years, I'm told...

Reply to
whit3rd

Like lower-voltage CMOS parts, the current drops into the 10's of uA when it's static. The high currents only apply at high switch rates.

Yes, that lower bound is annoying. Even worse is the 10V headroom requirement.

That's an entirely different set of requirements.

Reply to
Frank Miles

Actually these parts aren't really cheap either. About $8 for an 8 switch device.

--

Rick
Reply to

We buy DIP16 machined-pin IC sockets for 66 cents.

That's cool, but a relay is still way better. The 2662 has 20 ohms Ron and horrendous leakage... over a million times the leakage of a relay.

Den fredag den 2. oktober 2015 kl. 22.38.04 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

60pcs for $12.99 with free shipping on ebay

so they can't cost many cents when buying 1000's

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I believe he said that. The issue is not how they compare to relays. The issue is how they compare to your requirements. Relays exceed the specs for transistors in many respects, but you wouldn't design a switching power supply with a relay as the switch.

Not a bad fit.

--

Rick
Reply to

Lets bring back the multivibrator plug in octal unit, that switches nicely at some given slow rate :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Why was it called a multivibrator? Wasn't it just one vibrator? Or did it have other uses?

--

Rick
Reply to

It's now all digitised and packet switched, circuit switching is a dead technology.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Judging from some of the specs of your product, are you convinced that valid test measurements can be made for all of the features of the product through relay contacts and structures?

Making a universal test bed often requires serious compromise, or dedicated interface fittings.

RL

Reply to
legg

I think it will work. I'll have folks review the test set against every product to be tested, to cach the whatever things I've missed.

We won't use this for our picosecond products, just for the DC and low frequency stuff. I don't think that stray capacitance or contact resistance will be a problem, and I hope that leakage won't either. The only resistance measurements that really matter will be 4-wire.

A sorta universal test set has a lot of appeal. Otherwise, we have to design a test fixture per product, which can be almost as much work as the product design.

If a test set is a properly documented PC board (and not some hand-wired hack) we can build a bunch of them and have a few spares in a closet. And make more any time we need them. It's possible that customers might want one too.

None that we'll speck of here~! :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yes, that's half the problem solved. But, relays with DIP pinout are usually equipped with stamped-sheet pins, and a broken or bent pin is a failure. For best reliability, you want relays with machine-pins, in machined-socket receptacles. They exist.

Reply to
whit3rd

I saw some of those crossbar chips in use in 1983, and couldn't find them 10 years later. Is that the period you mean?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso