VME 6U "B size" board template anywhere?

My layouter has a hardcopy but an electronic file in some popular graphics format would be nicer. Is there one for "B size" that specifies dimensions, holes, drill diameters etc.?

So far I found only "C size":

Strangely, the title is called VME but inside the drawing it is called VXI. Not familiar with VXI but I assume it's mechanically the same thing. "B size" would be 160mm Eurocard length versus the usual 340mm. I could doctor it a bit but it would be nicer to have a correct one to start with. I'll have to mark lots of other holes and stuff that we need.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

A B size VXI board is the same as a 6U VME. It just follows some additional register and addressing conventions. C size is deeper, but will work in a regular VME crate if you don't mind the front hanging out.

I can email you an actual 6U VME board in PADS that you could use as a basis... just strip all the parts out and replace with yours! I could also PDF a fab drawing, with all the dims and notes.

Oh, the standard eurocard dims leave about a 0.1" gap between the board edge and the backside of the front panel. We use that layout, but also have boards that snug the board all the way against the front panel, to accommodate certain connectors and such.

John

Both would be nice. My layouter uses PADS. He has some very old projects with VME but problems loading those old PADS files (don't ya hate when that happens?). PDF is what I could use to copy into a more editable format and then sketch in required mechanical stuff.

I never do mech dwgs. Tried to fire up my old TurboCad but, of course, got that old Borland bug into the face. Runtime error 200. There's a kludge for that but it gets old so I'll have to buy a new sketch SW. Maybe their "Instant Engineer".

But don't the DIN connectors then need milling to snug their rims to the board?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thank you, that would be nice.

One client uses SolidWorks. Works great, but high-$$ and a steep learning curve. So I only view and comment those files.

Mine are "Eberhard Faber American" and "Eagle Verithin", plus Vellum. Sharpies can stain the stuff below, pretty much for good, so I mainly use those when laying tile or marking LAN cables. This office has too much glass and built-in cabinetry so I really miss my old white-board.

Nice!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, PADS has been bad about loading old-version files. We have a chain of various versions of PADS on various old PCs so we can walk an old layout through multiple steps to the current state. I think we've done them all by now.

I'll get you some files.

Our pcb fab drawings are just a layer in PADS, although my cad guy often does Autocad for trickier stuff. He moves stuff easily between PADS and Autocad and Solidworks.

My favorite mechanical design tool is called "Sharpie."

DINS on the front, you mean? We don't do that.

We do this when we use SCSI or some other connectors that want pins in places that would fall off the board if we did the 0.1" setback. You can still plop any old connector wherever you want. We also do this to keep air currents from sneaking in underneath covers and generating

1/f noise, like here...

John

Berol F on 22x34 blue-grid vellum, Boston electric sharpener, Bruning electric eraser, for the formal stuff. Blueline goes to my layout guy, who cads it.

Without a whiteboard, I'd be perfectly useless.

John

Clearprint 1000HP-10, sharpener where you have to turn the pencil by hand (not the fancy ones with a crank), occasionally grandpa's pocket knife, soft rubber eraser. Blueprint goes from me to me who cads it. But I don't do layouts, just the schematic.

Sigh. But I'd have to get rid of the databook shelf to hang a decent size white-board. And the inflationary speed at which manufacturers render their web sites useless does not appear to allow that, ever. Boy am I happy now that I kept all the National books.

Thanks for the PADS files. My layouter will try to load the gapped version (but he is in NY right now).