politics (hilarious)

Well, Joe BiteMe's gaffe over the weekend forced his hand. He's now "evolved" into supporting gay marriage, though he hasn't made any firm commitments (that's for Nov. 7).

Reply to
krw

It just gets better:

How did these amateur bungler clowns get into the White House?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bill Clinton finally gets something right:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Criminally, and they'll do it again...

...Jim Thompson

China is much worse than Greece or Russia.

What puzzles me is why so many of the lunatic fringe

Naturally I surpress a lot of the hard work, and do it subconsciously. Electronics and other things. Easy stuff takes overnight, harder stuff takes a few days, even weeks some times. The answer is usually delivered in the shower, all worked out.

Why work hard when you can delegate, to other people or to some co-processor in the dark corners of your brain?

Besides, there is no analytic procedure, no algorithm, no equation for new ideas.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

..

.

"Florida says 180,000 non-citizens may be on voter rolls"

AF20120511

(P.S. the 2000 FL election was decided by 500-odd votes.)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Ah, but you so easily forget: the wonderful thing about rationality is its irrationality. To quote or paraphrase several characters from Star Trek, 'Those damn Vulcans, they'll use Logic to prove anything'.

Don't forget, it's literally, provably true (see Godel: prove P *and* not P, therefore... unicorns exist and etc.!). For this reason I try to take less offense to peoples' various abuses of what conflicts with logic, at least

*my* logic.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Oh, shame on you! Nancy Pelosi herself has said that there are no cases of illegal aliens voting in the USA.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

.ht...

t.

l,

ia...

.

Not according to Transparency International

The US is at 24 in the league table, with an index of 7.1, China is well down at 75, with an index of 3.6, but Greece is worse at 80, with an index of 3.4 and Russia is a lot worse, at 143 with an index of

2.4.

That does seem to be how most creative people work.

But there are analytic tests for determining whether news ideas are right, or wrong, useless or useful.

You seem to have some useful rules of thumb for sorting out new ideas in electronics, but outside of electronics you seem to think that any idea that is new to you is automatically original and potentially useful - Sturgeons Law is that 90% of everything is rubbish

but your off-topic output isn't even that good.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

k,

P,

less

Godel's theorem doesn't mean anything of the sort.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

t...

..

Any excuse to get Democrats off the voter rolls. If 2000 was anything to go by, they'll delete lots of voters who really are citizens because they have the same surname or birthday as a non-citizen - many more than the real non-citizens.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

To my knowledge, Greek corruption is fairly benign. Make trouble in China, and you and your family may be imprisoned, beaten, killed without any legal niceties.

Sure, some the ideas have to be proven correct, simulated, evaluated for practicality, tested and developed or discarded. A lot of them just obviously will work. My brain seems to discard the obvioulsy dumb ideas.

Designing new things seems to require a radical mechanism for exploring the solution space and a strong, skills-based filtering mechanism to pick the few workable ideas out of the zillions of silly ones. That is a very delicate balance.

Not so. I leave settled subjects to experts. There's a huge amount of fascinating stuff out there, and I can't be expert at more than a tiny fraction of what's interesting. I feel free to conjecture about things where nobody has been shown to be competant. Like economics, for example. "If you want 20 different opinions on an economic issue, just ask 10 economists."

As far as that goes, I've either called things right most of my life, or been very lucky. I know people who made all the wrong calls, or spent their careers in a series of near-misses. Being economically conservative seems to be a good long-term strategy.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ory.ht...

Post.

ntil,

arria...

out...

d...

It's not all that benign. Greece could be an advanced industrial country if they'd got corruption under control.

That's not corruption, that's primitive politics. China still has to get it's political act together - it's come along a lot since Mao died, but it still has quite a way to go. It does seem to be doing better than Russia or - say - Burma, but even Greece and Italy are way ahead.

When thinking about electronics.

Neither economics nor climate science is anything like a bad as you like to think. Your ideas on economics seem to be influenced by James Arthur, who discards all modern economics, apparently because he finds it ideologically unsound and your ideas on anthropogenic global warming seem to be equally dominated by wishful thinking.

It's not. It means that when the next big opportunity comes along, you won't invest enough to keep ahead of the competition. The Tea Party approach wants to put the US in the same "don't invest in anything" black hole that has trapped the Japanese economy for the last couple of decades.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ht...

.
,

a...

But if Florida wants to use this as an excuse to purge the electoral rolls of yet more Democrat-voting non-WASPs, they'd be happy to ignore Nancy Pelosi's point of view - after all she is a Democrat, and the latinos mostly vote Democrat.

The US - at 24 in the international league table of corruption - seems to showing signs of aspiring to a higher number, like Greece (at 75) where at least the elections seem to be honest, or China (at 80) where the elections honestly allow you to choose between member of the Communist Party (as opposed to the rich party in the US), or Russia (at 143) where the political elite seems to aspire to becoming as rich and exclusive as America's.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But they all enjoy it!

The classic rejoinder to economists and folks like you: if you're so smart, how come you ain't rich?

That's crazy. You're a great example of obsolescence.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

_story.ht...

on Post.

d until,

x-marria...

-about...

judd...

ral

ome

US

ss

They don't seem to be enjoying the fall-out from years of corrupt and ineffective government. Lots of protesting.

ely

as

ly.

uff

for

I am rich, by most standards. Not as rich as my father was when he died, or as my younger brother is now, but in the same ball-park.

I've never had to go out of my way to earn enough money to live comfortably - which involves eating in three-star restaurants from time to time - and I've not felt the need for ah even higher income.

What makes you think that? I don't really need to understand how you come to your nonsensical conclusions, but sometimes your ideas are far enough off the wall to be entertaining.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

"Almost half of all Americans lived in households that received government benefits in 2010, according to the Census Bureau. The share climbed from 37.7 percent in 1998 to 44.5 percent in 2006, before the recession, to 48.5 percent in 2010."

We need more Americans collecting money from the government. After all, there is no limit to the amount of money government has.

Mikek

Sloman comment here__________________________________________...

Reply to
amdx

That's because the Occupy generation live in their retired parents' basements.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Listening to all their political, philosophical lamentations, they all seem to boil down to "stuff oughtta be free."

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat