Politics on this echo?

Just curious, why is there so much political discussion on a Raspberry Pi echo?

Is someone mis-gating this echo?

Reply to
Craig Dooley

BY: A. Dumas(3:770/3)

AD> Because this place is filled with old miserable assholes living in the AD> past, thinking they know everything because they can program in assembly AD> language. AD> LOL!

Nice answer!

Reply to
Craig Dooley

BY: TimS(3:770/3)

T> Echo? Gating? What are you talking about? T> This is the Raspberry Pi Discussion Echo on Fidonet. From the looks of some of the messages (all political stuff), it appears someone is bringing in a political message area from another network or usenet group and porting it to this echo.

I've no authority over this echo, but I'd prefer to read about Raspberry Pi computers here than politics.

Reply to
Craig Dooley

BY: Mike(3:770/3)

M> To the OP: It's a USENET newsgroup. No idea what wormholes and portals M> people on FIDO are seeing this through, but there has been some M> offtopic/crossposted stuff. It happens on USENET. M> Interesting, because I'm reading it on a Fidonet echo. So it sounds like someone is gating a usenet group to Fidonet and back. Not sure why, since politics and Raspberry Pi computers don't necessarily go together.

I'm not trying to police a usenet group, I'm just annoyed that someone has combined the 2 groups.

Shrug. Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

Reply to
Craig Dooley

Re: Re: Politics on this echo? By: Craig Dooley to Tims on Sun Mar 28 2021 10:20:43

CD> This is the Raspberry Pi Discussion Echo on Fidonet.

it is a gated newsgroup... conversations go to both sides of the gate...

)\/(ark

Reply to
mark lewis

BY: TimS(3:770/3)

T> Oh no it isn't. It's the comp.sys.raspberry-pi Usenet group. If you T> don't have T> suffient tools to filter out stuff you don't want to see, that's hardly T> our T> fault. And why didn't you prefix your OP's Subject: line with OT ? T> From my point of view, it's just a Fidonet echo. I was not aware that it was gated to Usenet. As far as I knew, it was a Fidonet echo that perhaps someone had mis-configured and was gating a politics echo to it.

I simply asked a question.

Reply to
Craig Dooley

BY: mark lewis(1:3634/12)

ml> it is a gated newsgroup... conversations go to both sides of the gate... ml> Thank you, Mark. I was not aware it was a gated group.

-Craig

Reply to
Craig Dooley

Re: Re: Politics on this echo? By: Craig Dooley to Mark Lewis on Sun Mar 28 2021 13:09:03

ml>> it is a gated newsgroup... conversations go to both sides of ml>> the gate...

CD> Thank you, Mark. I was not aware it was a gated group.

you are quite welcome...

)\/(ark

Reply to
mark lewis

Re: Re: Politics on this echo? By: A. Dumas to mark lewis on Sun Mar 28 2021 17:45:35

please direct your complaints to the proper place as depicted in every message gated from fidonet into the group... the necessary data should be easily found in the headers...

)\/(ark

Reply to
mark lewis

Re: Politics on this echo? By: Vincent Coen to A. Dumas on Sun Mar 28 2021 20:38:33

VC> Some people do not have their TZUTC setting at all.

and sometimes the problem is the gating software... especially if it doesn't properly convert the timestamps to whatever is the proper form for newsgroups... the question is should it convert all to UTC or to the gateway's local time or leave them all as posted...

)\/(ark

Reply to
mark lewis

Hello Craig!

Sunday March 28 2021 11:55, you wrote to Mike:

M>> To the OP: It's a USENET newsgroup. No idea what wormholes and M>> portals people on FIDO are seeing this through, but there has been M>> some offtopic/crossposted stuff. It happens on USENET. M>> > Interesting, because I'm reading it on a Fidonet echo. So it sounds > like someone is gating a usenet group to Fidonet and back. Not sure > why, since politics and Raspberry Pi computers don't necessarily go > together.

It is coming from (via seenbys ) :

System : Agency HUB Gateway Sysop : Paul snipped-for-privacy@f3.n70.z3.fidonet.org Location : New Zealand Phone : -Unpublished- Speed : 300 Flags : P Flag : Pvt Uplink : 770/0 Region : 57 URL : (null)

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello A!

--
Tim
Reply to

Because this place is filled with old miserable assholes living in the past, thinking they know everything because they can program in assembly language.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Sounds like FIDO speak

Reply to
Andy Burns

Arrr, its just the Internet Spring - 'tis exactly the same on r.a.s.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Original poster is at "f126.n123.z1.fidonet.org" so, yes.

To the OP: It's a USENET newsgroup. No idea what wormholes and portals people on FIDO are seeing this through, but there has been some offtopic/crossposted stuff. It happens on USENET.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Then do so.

We in Usenet have this thing called a subject header, whereby we can make informed decisions about what to read and what to ignore.

If there is insufficient interest in off-topic subjects, they die quickly.

--
Joe
Reply to

Oh no it isn't. It's the comp.sys.raspberry-pi Usenet group. If you don't have suffient tools to filter out stuff you don't want to see, that's hardly our fault. And why didn't you prefix your OP's Subject: line with OT ?

--
Tim
Reply to

And you guys (and/or your admin) should fix that damn clock! All date/time headers from fido are wrong.

Reply to
A. Dumas