Ping: John Larkin

Consequences are still zero. Those old hens don't even cackle very well.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That remains forever in your mind because relays are something that you sort of understand.

The argument is a semantic one - which kind you love - rather than an electronic one - which you avoid. Is it OK to use the word "infinite" for a quantity that has no upper bound? Around here, it is.

All the reputable physics references that I can find declare a photon to be massless. I have no way to tell, so I defer to authority on that one. But I note that a mass traveling at c would pack infinite energy, and photons have finite energies.

Tragedy? For an interpretation of the word "infinite"? For wrongly assuming that photons have, or don't have, mass? Who's going to get hurt?

In plain English, not much going on.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Late at night, by candle light, Jim Thompson penned this immortal opus:

Odd that. The circuit snippets I've simmed have all worked as advertised. Maybe it's you doing something wrong.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Late at night, by candle light, John Fields penned this immortal opus:

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

He lacks, among other things, imagination.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

that

Bwahahahahaha. Not that i trust google all that well.

Reply to
josephkk

or

And an awful lot of mediocre products sell quite well. You haven't given much reason to believe that your products are not mediocre. Try a bit harder at providing proper comparisons with competing products.

Reply to
josephkk

And he is actually the *only* one (that I recall) that has posted schematics of production circuits he has designed.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You'd have to see the price list.

Try a bit

A lot of our products have no competition. We do this stuff because people need things that don't exist, so almost by definition it's born the best in the world. We don't *want* competing products to compare against.

There's lots of business like that out there, and surprisingly few people interested in exploiting it. As the world gets more complex, the number of niches grows exponentially.

But compare our optical logic links to anything else you can find. Or our digital delay generators. Or the VME stuff: LVDT/synchro simulators, thermocouple input and simulators, ARBs. Laser drivers, soon.

Show us something that you've designed.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I've never seen a circuit "snippet" with component values. Please cit a message-ID.

Actually I've posted pieces of my chip designs... with values ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Late at night, by candle light, Jim Thompson penned this immortal opus:

So the Master Designer needs his hand held to ballpark them? Even odder.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Pictures of PB boards, too!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The moron killfiles me, then claims he can't see what I post.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

If it's not a Spice file, ready to drop into a simulator, he's helpless to understand it.

I wonder how his third attempt at a powerup boost supply worked out. I suspect he, or his customer, gave up on it.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Sorry I don't maintain a list! However....

He used to put most such things on his ftp site then link to them in the body of the post. I think they are all still there, I imagine they all originated from posts here, at some point:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/

The pdfs look like they are generally production schematics like:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22S220A_20.pdf ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22S490B_ch12.pdf ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22S880A.pdf ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22SS346A.pdf ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22SS346A.pdf ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/28S910D.pdf

These have parts values and some are reasonably complete circuits. (Some are parts of a larger board of course).

Here are some sketches that do have parts values

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99S260A.JPG ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/EUV_HV_supply.JPG ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Inverter.jpg ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_reg.JPG

But most of the jpgs are the equivalent of "whiteboard sketches", brainstorming, as he has made clear many times here.

By the way, for the serious Larkin-stalker I suggest wget:

wget ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/*

Appreciated.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I don't much use the ftp site any more. Some people couldn't access it. I mostly use Dropbox now.

Dropbox is amazing. I have a little home-made automation system (temperature measurements and heater control) and a USB camera in our little cabin in the mountains. It all works now through a shared Dropbox folder instead of ftp. I can even remotely replace executable files, and remotely reboot the computer (or execute any command-line or batch file.)

Dropbox eventually takes over one's life. Everything useful gets mirrored on all my PCs, and I don't carry memory sticks around any more.

Some of my customers aren't allowed Dropbox access at work, can't imagine why. Mordac at work, I guess. They have to take a laptop to Starbucks to swap files with me.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[...]

Yes I use it too, not so much since I had already arranged things with rsync jobs to remote servers and so forth.

Ithink it was 2G at first, then I clicked on a few boxes on their site and it went up to 2.5G for while.

Now I just got my new phone, and it magically went up to 50G. Yay!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

--
I do indeed understand relays pretty well, unlike you, who once swore
on a stack of bibles that a DC relay would chatter if fed from a

But, the reason that particular encounter remains in my mind is that,
while knowing that the relay's power gain could never be infinite, you
skirted the issue in order to save face knowing full well that you
were wrong.

A man who would lie about such a little thing isn't a man one could
trust, in the long run.
Reply to
John Fields

Late at night, by candle light, John Fields penned this immortal opus:

Nope, you're confusing mass and momentum. Full explanation here:

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Cite?

Luckily, I din't think we'll be doing much business.

Argue with the physics texts, and the stuff online. A photon with mass would have a lot of dire consequences. Experiments have set the upper bound of possible photon mass very, very low, consistant with zero. Look it up.

YD provided a few links.

Just because you can do some arithmetic to calculate the equivalent mass of a photon's energy doesn't mean it actually has mass.