Ping Joerg: doppler pencil probe

Hi, Joerg:-

What would be a expected capacitance for a working 8MHz doppler vascular ultrasound transducer? I measure about 250pF including cable capacitance, which could be just the ~6' of cable.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Can you TDR it?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

I don't have access to a TDR. I suppose I could put 50 or 100 ohms in series to the TG and look at the voltage on a spectrum analyzer.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Mine are between 800pF and 900pF. This is for split-disk (CW) Doppler transducers of about 0.450" diameter, including 6ft cables. But the cable part won't matter if one side is matched to the cable impedance. Typically the system side.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Okay, thanks!

Sounds like this one is open. I can hand it back as 'broken' with a clear conscience.

Bset regards,

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Especially if they don't show any 8MHz resonance when on the analyzer or generator. Did you measure the other half? It's rare that both connections break.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The case is plastic, but I'll try to the shield tomorrow (and try the SA).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Flat as a pancake 5-10MHz on any pair of wires. It's dead, Jim.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I can TDR stuff for you, if you have time to ship it to me.

You can get an 11801+SD24 rig on ebay for under $2K. A very handy thing to have.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

P.S.

Spehro Pefhany

Yup, that's been killed dead, as John Wayne would have put it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You can actually do TDR with any scope that has a fast enough rise-time relative to the artifacts you are looking for on the cable, and a pulse generator that can produce a step output. Or, if you have a suitably narrow pulse that is not a step, you can interpret the results just a little differently. I have used this many times to figure out which end of a several-foot cable has the short.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sure, but a real TDR/sampler has fraction of an inch resolution and cool time/distance/impedance readouts. Great for stuff like PCB traces and evaluating connectors.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A basic DCR bridge with a 10 turn pot as part of the bridge can give you the short location in a pair of conductors, as long as you have access to both ends of the pairs to test.

Looking for opens is a little more involved. That can be done in two ways that I know of, a TDR or a HV induced signal with in a DCR bridge, the arc serves as the shorting path point.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Just measure the capacitance at each end.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

In grad school we* found a spool of coax with access to both ends. A pulse generator, scope, and any termination you can find.... lotsa fun.

George H.

*myself and a navy electronics tech, he was a bit older, but we got along just fine.
Reply to
George Herold

I'd love to learn how to 'fly' a TDR.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'd love to learn how to 'fly' a TDR.

George H.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Keep you eye out for a Tektronix 11801 with a SD-24 sampling head. It's a great TDR, not to mention a really fast scope. Bad ones show up on ebay from time to time for around $200 or so. Most of the time, the only thing wrong is bad memory batteries.

The SD-24 heads go for $2-400.

The only con is how big it is. But then it's less likely to get legs.

tm

Reply to
tm

Does anyone make fast TDRs anymore? I've been looking but everything I've found is intended to test cables. Unfortunately, eBay isn't possible.

Reply to
krw

Plenty of test equipment suppliers.

Is 7 ps fast enough?