Ping Joerg

Hey Joerg have you seen the new Instek scopes?

They have 2M memory depth now and about cheaper then the comparable

2000 series. Looks like they have some nice new features too.

Under $900 !!

Hammy

The 150mhz model looks interesting for $1k. Too bad there's no 250mhz model.

Martin Riddle

"Martin Riddle" wrote in news:i92p8i$vrk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

They do make them upto 350MHz. Of course they aint giving them away but for $2500 this is a nice scope 250MHz.

Its getting to be a pretty competitive market so prices will likely continue to fall until the weaker companies fail reducing competition.

Reply to
Hammy

Martin Riddle schrieb:

Hello,

you know the difference between mW and MW?

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Uwe Hercksen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.dfncis.de:

Sheesh UWE Lighten up!

Given the context I think we can assume that its mega-hertz.

Reply to
Hammy

Nice. Although I sometimes need more than 2ch so I bought the 4ch GDS-2204 a few years ago. Has been good to me and the 25,000 sample memory is lots better than the paltry 4k that Tek was offering back then for a similar but more expensive scope. Hameg always had such enormous memory depth with their HM2008 CombiScope but I didn't really need it.

One thing I like about Instek is the long warranties they tend to offer. It shows that they trust their own products.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Anyone know a reliable repair shop for O'scopes?

I have an ancient Leader O'scope that has fuzzy focus. I also have a Tek TDS-something-or-other. But it's hard to beat a purely analog scope ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You'll have to find a hobbyist to do that. I don't think any of the pro shops would touch scopes of that price range. It's like asking a Maserati shop to tune the valves on Bob Pease's old Volkswagen.

If it's a TDS-2xx lunch box scope clad in plastic watch out during analog measurements. It spits out switcher noise from inside, probably from the backlight inverter. That had a client fooled. This episode made convincing them to buy a Tek 2465 very easy, those are from the days when the old guard still worked at Tek.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Same price range as mid-range Insteks.

I figure a cheap-skate like you would have a buddy ;-)

TDS210. I've done some video work with it without issues. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

One of those 3ch versions?

If you need to crank up the brightness knob more than usual and then the focus gets fuzzy that would (usually) be an indication that the CRT is going out on you. Unless there's a HV issue.

Can't Leader service it?

Video is easy, there you won't see it. The noise was mostly 40/80kHz in our case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Lots of brightness, but "fuzzy" focus. Probably the standard capacitor problems... I used it maybe once every two years or so ;-)

These scopes are only for my own personal G-jobs, audio, video, remote controls... ;-)

I haven't even been in a final test lab in _many_ years... my designs just work right out of the box :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Unlikely. Dried capacitors should show up as ripple on the supplies which you could measure with your TDS210. It could be a trimpot with a corroded wiper or something like that.

So do mine (usually) but the Federales require most of this to be validated until the cows come home.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

MDS Labs in Ft. Walton Beach used to do that type of work as a sideline years ago. He bought & sold them at hamfests in the Florida panhandle. Gerry Dorrin 850-664-1234

I just talked to him on the phone. He said that he doesn't do a lot of analog scopes anymore but he wanted to know the model, and if you have the manual.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Leader used to be here on LI. Check with Exphil

they might be able to help.

Martin Riddle

I know I wouldn't bother with it. Seriously, find a used one on Craiglist, it'll probably cost you less money.

Here's one that may be close to you.

JW

In article , Jim Thompson wrote: ...

First, measure resistors in the focus supply.

My experience is drift in the focus voltage divider. Tek 22xx scopes are notorious for this. I think there's 1 to 2 kV on 1/2 watt carbon comps rated for something like 350-500 volts. (I've replaced mine twice, the second time with a four resistor series string for each original part).

Wouldn't surprise me if Leader cheaped out in a similar way.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Thanks, Mark! I'll check that out. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature