Ping Joerg about GDS2204

I have one and, IIRC, so do you.

I now have a need to capture waveforms of events that happen over a period of, say, 20 or 30 seconds. I am a bit frustrated in this.

I use an event trigger from the uP for the scope. I run a fast enough trace to set the level accordingly. Then I change to the slow rate.

My frustration is that, when I go to single sweep, I can't tell if anything at all is happening. It does not tell me that it was triggered and does not show any trace until it has finished gathering all the data. I have been used to scopes which, when triggered, starts the trace. This does not happen with the GDS.

Have you seen this and, if you have overcome it, please enlighten me.

Many thanks in advance.

John S

Reply to
John S

No idea because I never had the need. It is SCPI compatible though so maybe the datastream can be read out somehow while acquiring. But bottomline is I don't know. Can't you take the triggering line from the uC as indicator?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sure. But there is no indication on the screen of the scope that a trigger occurred until after the entire 100 second sweep. This takes forever.

Thanks, Joerg.

Reply to
John S

Sometimes I wish such scopes were more programmable internally. Like some big FPGA where you cuould reach into an area of it. But I guess you and I won't roam the earth anymore until that happens, if ever.

Wish I could have really helped.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

could just build one :P

there's

but, $470, no front-end, and limited sampling rate

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The sample rate is a problem. You can't do much these days at 125MSPS.

1GSPS is almost the minimum nowadays.

Equipment manufacturers can't see it, their marketing folks have too little vision. If they made one of their existing mid-range or even upper class scopes programmable down to machine level that could boost their sales tremendously. Nobody wants to design/build the hardware if they can avoid it.

This is how it's done right:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Rigols aren't very locked down, are they? Don't know that anyone's tried to reprogram them from scratch, though.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Some were hacked but I doubt they can be freely programmed. You'd need a lot of hardware documentation for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

John

I have the same GDS and this is their way to do this. Also triggering is somehow and sometimes different on slow rising or falling signals when slow samplerates are used. So try to keep the triggerpuls with fast rising edges (2ms or faster)

hth

- Michael Wieser

Reply to
Michael Wieser