PicKit 2 WARNING

in

I agree that getting high speed internet would be "very nice". BUT.

1) Too expensive for me (a) DSL is an added $30+ per month not including undisclosed fees and taxes, (b) cable ditto, and (c) Clear rates are now in the same ballpark with the additional problem that a usable signal is at least 100 feet away from any window i might be able to use, (d) satellite dish is in the $600 per month region and less reliable than using a drum. The undisclosed fees and taxes are at least 50 percent more than the advertised rate. If the cost was $20 per month *TOTAL* i might be able to squeak by.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe consider going VOIP on your phones and dry loop (just the broadband, no POTS).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Well, since i had thought that i totally zapped the programming pod, i bought a replacement. Naturally the replacement arrived the same day that i got instructions from Ian as to (possible) fixes that worked. The result was that i had 2 good pods, and that the original pod was able to program an older app correctly. So it worked -->ONCE

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'd bet on an external fault as both are doing the same thing.

The only other remote possibility is an *extreme* version mismatch between the firmware and the GUI. If the GUI is really old and the firmware is *much* newer I wouldn't be surprised to get odd results. Eliminate this by testing with PK2CMD. Hint: PK2CMD /P /R /T will detect a PIC, power it and release /MCLR without programming it. If it

*is* a version mismatch, make sure that you are using the newest PICKIT2 GUI software you have available and then downgrade the firmware if you have to until you can get the current version.

Try measuring Vcc in the troubleshoot option on the GUI Test menu with no device connected and then with a 1K test load on Vcc (~5 ma) If all appears well, you probably have a failed target device or board. Try connecting a 6 pin header directly to a new or known good PIC with

*NOTHING* else connected to it either using a socket or breadboard and see if that programs normally.

P.S. I am away for a couple of days so wont be able to follow up immediately.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

I've had some issues like this with a clone ICD2 I bought from china. One of the problems had to do with powering the circuit through the device. After opening it up and looking it over, I believe you should never do that. Power your circuit separately.

Also, make sure that you don't power the circuit up (external supply) before you plug in the USB on the device; you don't want to power the thing through the inputs, it'll whack the regulator.

Anyway, your device may be different than mine.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

The PK2CMD option gave Auto-Detect: Found part PIC16F877A; operation succeeded. Measured voltage on part: 4.90V . PICkit2 App version 2.55.02, device file ver 1.55.00, OS firmware ver

2.32.00. Looking at the gooie ther is a "box" labeled VDD PIVkit2 with 2 check boxes "ON" and "/MCLR" along with a smalllll "window having up/down arrows that read "2.6" which was what i read at the DUD (err.....DUT). After a LOT of fiddling i finally got it to read 5.0V reliably each time i launched the gooie. So..SOLVED. Thanks.
Reply to
Robert Baer