PICkit-2

Hi, I bought a pickit 2 thinking it included a pod with same functionality as an idc2 the sales info wasnt very clear, the dsp30f4011 data sheets includes it in the list of development tools, however when I run mplab the pickit2 icon is shown as red, I now notice its says supports selected pic chips, have I bought a lemon by mistake ?

It seems to have a pic18f2550 inside conected directly to the usb, with the usual 3 pin clock/data/vpp program lines, the ICD clones use a pic16f877, could it be modified to look like an ICD 2 ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

I think the latest MPLAB 7.50 has support for two or three devices that can be used with the PICkit 2. You'd be better off buying an ICD 2 for serious development work.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

functionality

Well i thougt thats what was pretty much included in the kit, looks like I realy have just bought a lemon.

Seems as though support is only provided with a standalone programmer for the majority of the pic family, yet it prgrams one or two devices through the mplab ide, I realy dont see the point of making such a limited system, unless they just want to make a cheap system to lure in beginners, but not make it detract from sales of the the more overpriced systems.

Its got all the hardware required just is deliberatly restricted by the software.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Ive just found a use for my Pickit-2, it now supports dspic33 devices, but stil not the dspic30 huh. Wich is lucky becuase I just upgraded from dspic30->dspic33, and my clone icd-2 doesnt seem to work with dspic33 although it works with dspic30 and others.

the pickit doesnt work within the IDE however wich was anoying, till I found it senses the hex file has changed and goes ahead and programs the pic. what a mess lol.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin