Microchip PICkit 2 Starter Kit?

I'm thinking of buying a PICkit 2 Starter Kit.

Is there anything else I need to start using it for basic tutorial stuff or is there anything else someone could recommend?

I have some experience with assembly, C, and C++ but it's been awhile. So I'm looking for something simple and cheap to get caught up then maybe move on to something better.

Thanks

Reply to
Hammy

I give it a thumbs up. I love being able to code-compile- load-test-repeat. It programs PICs faster than anything I use at work, and has withstood stupid wiring mistakes that should have fried it.

The two times I thought I fried it, all I had to do was reload the PK2 firmware; problem solved.

If you choose your pin functions right, you can wire it up to program in-circuit on a breadboard or PCB.

I haven't used ICD at all, so I can't comment on that aspect.

HTH

Reply to
Randy Day

My first foray into embedded programming was with this kit. I had lots of fun and success.

I was fortunate enough to have an instructor as well. But imo it could be learned without one, but perhaps with more effort.

With that and some fundamental electronics knowledge, you should be fine. I haven't yet found a C compiler for this chip that I like, so I did/do everything in assembly. (It's a RISC, so only a couple dozen instructions to learn -- and imo assembly will better help you understand how the chip really works).

The provided IDE has a decent simulator, so you can watch the code and its effects on memory, either step by step, or 'animated'.

'Cheap' is a relative term. I did find the product simple to use. Be sure to look at the provided code examples which target the kit itself.

Also, in addition to the examples provided at Microchip's site, you can find a large amount of code at

HTH& Have fun,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Wahler

You may want to look at the MPS430 kits too (from TI). They support jtag for debug, which is pretty useful. The PIC can do simulation, but that doesn't help much in some situations.

One cool kit TI has is a wireless system, where a usb dongle connects to the uC card remotely. Unfortunately, you can't use it to program new devices, but you can buy device cards pretty cheaply.

I like the architecture of the MPS430 chips.

However, the PIC is pretty easy to work with, and you can program new chips with the pickit. I have one, and it was great fun getting to know uCs with it.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Robert Monsen

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I purchased the PICkit 2 starter kit. I'll blow the dust off my computer books from school which included the MC68HC11, and see how things go. Hopefully it comes back quickly.

I'll keep the MPS430 in mind for future refrence.

Reply to
Hammy