PIC

Hello, I'm a VB developer interested in designing my own programmable ICs. What equipement will I need and where is the best place to start looking?

Thanks............Bassman

Reply to
bassman71

IC design? What exactly do you have in mind?

You will need a programmer to flash the chips (if you choose PICs). You will also need some PICs. Outside of that, you will need the typical stuff you need to tinker in electronics (parts, DMM, proto boards, etc). I use the melabs usb programmer from

They also have development boards available.
is the place to get info about PICs in general (datasheets, development tools, sample parts).

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Isn't it interesting what non-embedded people think we do ??

donald

Reply to
Donald

You are not allowed to run VB on virtual machines. Programmable ICs are virtual machines, thus prohibited by MS laws.

Reply to
linnix

"bassman71" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Hmm... So want want to become a digital chip designer? I doubt your experience in VB will be of much value. You will need a good insight in the physics of semiconductors and even a better insight in logical design. Programmable ICs are are a class in their own right. The equipment you need, can be found in the labs of Intel, AMD, Xilinx and Lattice to name just a few. I only guess its way beyond your budget. So may I ask: What do you really want?

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"bassman71" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

The thought occured to me that you may not want to design programmable ICs but want to design something using programmable ICs. As you use PIC as an example I will stick with it. First thing I advise, read:

which IMHO is a good intro. When you're through it, you will have some idea already. Besides, you will find all the information you need to make a PIC blink a LED. Which is considered the "Hello world" of PIC programming. I think you can do with this for the moment.(But if you have questions, come again. Someone here might know the answers.)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Thanks for the info, what I'm trying to do is replicate my garage door remote.

Reply to
bassman71

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Very ambitious.

RF, I/O, programming a CPU.

There are _NO_ APIs to follow.

There are no design docs to follow.

I wish you the best of luck, and time.

Please let us know how you come alone.

donald

Reply to
Donald

"bassman71" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

So you'll have to gather information about this particular remote. This things can be really complicated these days. Have a look at:

for instance. Once you know what chip(set) is used in your remote, you may be able to decide whether or not you can duplicate it by using the original chip(s).

Microchip sells some PICs with build in RF but of course I don't know if they cover the frequency range you need and/or if they're powerfull enough to emulate the chip in your remote. On the other hand, Microchip has it's own chips that can be used for remote openers, maybe even in your one. You'll have to dig pretty deep into the bits before you can start some design. Programming is only the last step.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter