photos

People who set policies in organizations tend to be "process" people and overly conservative- most entrepreneurs dislike (or even hate) "process".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Not at my PPoE. The owner *loved* processes. Some were OK (the recipe for the SMT line), others...

They were paranoid about schematics, even. When we sent stuff to UL, or whomever, we had to strip the values off the schematics, etc. Dumb. Hardware does nothing without the firmware and I don't think they even set security bits.

Reply to
krw

Have you tried

Here is a link to a photo I uploaded as = a=20 test some time ago:

It resolves to another URL =

and=20 there are some ads (as expected for a free site).

But you can bypass that by checking the properties of the image and=20 extracting the native URL:

But I use my own web space which I have at www. dreamhost.com. You can = set=20 it up to provide a directory of all files in a folder:

Paul and Muttley=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Flickr

Yeah, all the cloud paranoia is ill placed. Except for the most secure minded data, of course.

Reply to
Jupiter Jaq

I just logged in to Panoramio, and the bastards tried to get me to give them my cellphone number.

They let me log in without, but I wonder for how long?

It'll be my social security and inside leg measurement, next ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Where is that sliding hill?

John

Do you mean Sideling Hill? It's in Western MD near Hancock, along I68.

I have a "sliding hill" in my back yard:

Paul and Muttley=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Hmmm... I think of process as primarily a management tool, and a bit counter to leadership roles.

We had a safety agency guy advise us not to send too much info to the engineers there because they'd just waste a lot of $$$ time poring over it all. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My Grandparents Thompson lived in Riverton, Pendleton County, WV, just a few miles from Spruce Knob... nasty terrain to drive in when it's snowing :-( ...Jim Thompson

When you don't trust underlings to think you implement a process so they don't have to think. Nevermind what happens when something new comes along.

Spot on!

We only sent them what was demanded. UL and CB(?) were the worst. They wanted schematics.

Reply to
krw

size

Sounds like your boss is paranoid.

John

it's

I've been to Dolly Sods in the winter, and some of those roads were=20 treacherous, being mostly gravel and dirt with steep drop-offs and no=20 guardrails. And I visited some friends who had a "Wilderness Institute" = on=20 Spruce Knob Mountain, where people lived in yerts. We were there in May, = and=20 a quick storm blew through with very impressive hail. And I used to go=20 backpacking at Otter Creek, near Elkins. When I first did so, in the = late=20

70s, we would drink directly from springs and even from the creek, which = was=20 also nice for skinny-dipping. But then it seems that Giardia spoiled = those=20 experiences.

This is me, 35 years ago at Otter Creek, when I could still hike. I = still=20 have that hiking stick, which I carved from a cherry tree branch in =

1971.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

It sure looks like it's sliding to me!

Here are some steps in San Francisco:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/sf/Douglass.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/sf/Harry_3.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/sf/Elizabeth.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/sf/Arch.jpg

I80 is cool around here. We have falling rock zones, runaway truck ramps, 5% grades that go on for thousands of vertical feet and set truck brakes on fire, chains-required zones, all sorts of fun stuff.

When we bought our house, the back yard was so steep you couldn't stand in it. We had to terrace it with Allen blocks and add a serpentine staircase.

John

This is me, 35 years ago at Otter Creek, when I could still hike. I = still have that hiking stick, which I carved from a cherry tree branch in =

1971.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

My Grandfather, Lester Thompson, was in charge of the State Road Commission maintenance unit in Pendleton County... once gave an unintended demonstration on how to lose a cat in a snow covered meadow that turned out to be a valley ;-)

The family still owns Seneca Caverns.

My Grandparents Godwin lived just outside Philippi.

And I once shot the rapids on the Cheat River, feet-first, sans canoe ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And the river has never forgiven you. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Uh-Oh! I think I hear banjos...

il

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Amazing how well you can do... keep feet together, steer with hands ;-) ...Jim Thompson

For really! 1955. Boy Scout (Explorer) Troop wading across a "shallow" area, shoes tied together and slung over shoulder... I got knocked down by the now waist deep water and the shoes took off. Without thinking I took off down-river after them (I'm a good swimmer). Then the "Oh @#$%" moment, turned myself around, feet-first on my back and steered my way thru it, beached myself at a curve. I was now on the side we were headed for, but the rest of the troop turned around. So I climbed out up to the road and napped for several hours until they hiked the long-way around ;-)

Also discovered several in-use stills... "what's this copper pipe sticking out of the ground" at the river's edge... that was a bit scary :-) ...Jim Thompson

size

Or perhaps you're not paranoid enough. ;-)

The fact is that whether he is paranoid or not is irrelevant. I have no authorization to release *any* information that isn't within the scope of my employment. Most here are under the same sort of contract(s).

Reply to
krw