photos

Here's how I do white water rafting (on the Youghiogheny):

Damn the swimmers - full speed ahead!

That is me in the back corner of the raft. And the raft ahead of us had=20 capsized in what (I think) was called "Charlie's Washing Machine", a = nasty=20 reverse hydraulic. And we were doing as we were taught, to just go over = and=20 plough through anybody swimming in the water, as it was preferable to = being=20 on top of them, or joining them in the churning foam. That was my first=20 experience on the river. Around 1976.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

In a YMCA camping program (~age 13) we canoed the rapids on the Coshocton River in Ohio. Had one YoYo who tried to step out of a side-ways canoe on the down-river side ;-)

We had to got thru a dam or climb over. We chose going thru the tubes and paddled like hell at the outlet... totally submerged, but we stayed upright ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Are you ever going to do it again, or are you afraid the river will win this time? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

using

size

Well, that does sort of dampen the discussions, when you can't even talk about what you design.

John

Lots much better.

I'll give it a try thanks,

George H.

and

og.com/pictures/

Reply to
George Herold

Don't you think being 57 years older _might_ have some tempering influence ?:-)

Lots of things I did as a kid I now wonder how I managed to live. ...Jim Thompson

using

size

What? Sometimes. How, certainly not directly or in any detail. Again, I think most here are in the same position.

Reply to
krw

We call that barefoot water skiing where I come from.

Reply to
Chairman Meow

That was my point. You're old enough to know that you can walk away from those "Do you feel, lucky, punk?" moments. :)

Michael A. Terrell

I used to fire .22s from the top of a rock using a hammer in my back yard back in the early 70s

I also modified my .22 caliber pellet pistol to accept a .22 short round. Shame too. as it would be worth hundreds right now for the collector's value it would have, were it undamaged.

Reply to
Hellequin

When there weren't enough pecans on the ground, we'd shoot them out of the trees with a .22.

One day me and a friend were exploring an abandoned house and we found a shopping bag full of shotgun shells in a closet. Boy, did we have fun that summer, with an almost unlimited supply of gunpowder.

John

For some reason, barefoot snow skiing doesn't seem to work as well....

John

Just don't even bother trying to get parts from SRS, unless you originally purchased the instrument from them.

Reply to
JW

Yup. And they think that the resistors they used to program an LM317 to five volts are a trade secret.

John

As a kid, our scout troop would do the Spring River in the Ozarks. It started out COLD, like 55F where it came up out of the ground (hence SPRING river) and was a nice, safe ride. At several locations, the river would go over a shelf, so you had the find the spot where there was a cut and the water would be deep enough to float you through the shoot. Just a couple of small rapids, but for a kid, it was FUN!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Indeed! I have wonderful remembrances! ...Jim Thompson

Their stuff seems pretty good, but the circuit designs tend to be weird. And their user interfaces are horrible. I'm using their newish clock generator, which works pretty well (except for getting weird around 800 MHz) and it's a horror to drive.

Their biz model is to find an old, expensive product and kill it.

John

using=20

size=20

So not a good idea. Futzing about with company private stuff with security and publicity rules you do not understand???

=46ar saner to set up your own private company server.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

my

since it's

for

Today it is primarily a bureaucratic tool, for use in large organizations that must continue to operate with a preponderance of "C", "D" and some "F" grade personnel. It is also useful for describing what is supposed = to happen in a completely automated production line.

or

Hardware

security

Reply to
josephkk

I do pretty much the same trick, but my news reader is Agent running in wine. Works pretty fine.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk