photos

I see a VERY weird drawing of what might be an Nth dimensional cube, and a message below: Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our FAQ or forums for help. Or maybe you should try heading home.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Larkin doesn't know how to do it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

The drawing here looks like a cube-type box, top 4 flaps open and chained in that position; message below it is: Error (403) It seems you don't belong here! You should probably try logging in?

Reply to
Robert Baer

No kidding. I have been after a local business to put in a small server to back & share files between offices and manufacturing.

Michael A. Terrell

Add a '/newsgroups' directory to your business account to post public pictures. They won't be part of the website, as long as no active page links to it. Then create separate folders for in house use on your company's network. Like /proposed /archive /current or whatever way you need to divide them. Then you can access anything from any computer that is allowed on the network. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to set up.

Michael A. Terrell

You're not deleting them from your local dropbox folder are you ? Probably not, but when you do, the link also disapears.

boB

Reply to
boB

Yup. On top the China Wall near Donner Summit.

John

I've been pushing stuff around. It looks like Dropbox is great for private use but ugly for posting public files. My FTP site is ideal, but some people can't access it.

John

,

That's too bad. I'd love to have a better place to post pictures. The image hosting sites just seem to be getting worse and worse. (More junk.) I use imageshack but would love something better.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's the first one I can see. Others give me 404 and 403.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Photobucket seems good to me, no restrictions or deletion if not viewed.

Rheilly

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

you really want share some internal maybe NDA-stuff over a network you can`t control?

something like freenas,

or something like those WHS-boxes should do the job....

- Michael Wieser

Reply to
Michael Wieser

On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:35:50 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

For 30 $ or so a year you can get a real website and your own domain with godaddy.com That is where my site is hosted. I actually pay a little more and have ssh access, unlimited email addresses, and many utilities I never ever use. If you have DSL and your own IP, run a simple Linux server, but that takes time maintaining, is what I used to do

For your company add a wireless access point, and you can share anything, no need to go external. In Linux is easy to copy files locally with scp, and use ssh -Y to remotely run apps from the 'mainframe' (big computer with > terabyte memory here).

I was listening to a mp3 last night on the laptop via the wireless LAN by typing: scp user@10.0.0.150:/audio/my_music.mp3 /dev/stdout | mpg123 - will ask for password for 'user'.

This streams the mp3 file to the local machine, like a download, but sends it to stdout, and pipes it localy via the mp3 player.

'scp' stands for 'secure copy'

Poor MS windows users, must be complicated for them.

I can just use my newsreader remotely too: ssh -Y user@10.0.0.150 NewsFleX

Or ssh -Y user@IP_ADDRESS NewsFleX

Since it is all encrypted with ssh and scp you do not have to worry about people tapping your [wireless] link.

copy a picture from the main machine: scp root@10.0.0.150:/root/download/space/cassini_dione_67372_km_N00178865.jpg ./q1.jpg

View it locally: xv q1.jpg

LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:41:51 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes that one works.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I like your ftp way but it does require the firewall does ftp properly.

I have been just dumping mine into the root folder of a web server. Same as your ftp really but http so no firewall issues. Can you do that? As long as you don't name one index.html it should not mess anything up! :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It's reasonably secure, which is about all you can expect these days. I could lose a memory stick somewhere, or an employee could do the equivalent, or email could be compromised, or somebody could steal our trash and sell it to the Chinese.

There's too much paranoia in this business. Which is one reason why there are so many generalisms and vague discussions and evasions in this newsgroup. I'm one of the few here who posts pictures and schematics of actual products that are current designs, or discusses real problems, in detail, as they are evolving.

Remember when every manual had schematics and detailed theory of operation? Hardly anybody does that any more. SRS is about the only one I can think of. I give my customers schematics and source code if they ask for it.

Too much paranoia.

Dropbox looks fine for private file sharing. Their rules for public stuff is just a little weird.

Sigh, I suppose I'll have to set up a web site. Or get The Brat to do it for me.

John

Even they don't publish them on the web- but at least you do get the schematics when you shell out for their product.

Wow- source code too! Good man. I guess you make them sign an NDA though.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I ask for an email statement that they will use it for internal, maintanance purposes only. Frankly, if a schematic fell into the hands of a competitor, it wouldn't be a big deal. Besides, we don't have many competitors, and if someone did copy our stuff, word would get around and it would do them a lot more harm than it did to us.

A company in Florida did once clone (not directly copy) one of our modules. The customers wouldn't touch it.

Some of my customers are concerned that the products will be available long-term, like if we have an earthquake or I decide to give up electronics and become a ski bum. We offer to give them a DVD with all the drawings, everything they would need to build and test it themselves if we can't deliver.

Too much paranoia. And besides, 99% of what's being designed isn't new.

John

Paranoia? Perhaps. The issue is that I don't own the data I have in my possession and have no authorization to release it. In your case, since it's your company, you do.

Reply to
krw

Ever notice how the most protective guys often have stuff that doesn't work all that well? As if they had a heck of time getting it to sort-of work and they'll be d*mned if they're going to make it easier for someone else...