pcb pours maybe

Can you see this?

Dropbox has got weird on me. It un-synced all of my PCs, which means I have to reconnect each one, create a new Dropbox folder, and download all my files again, which can take hours.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I don't trust DropBox as my working "hard drive". So my DropBox folder is in drive C: and my working drives are D: and E:, etc. That way if DropBox were to go crazy, or I lose internet access, etc., I keep on going. If I accidentally erase things on DropBox, they're still on my other drives.** Then I use the Synchronize It! program to relate the two sets of files, manually examine and permit any over-writes. And, Synchronize It! doesn't do deletes.

** I know DropBox let's you recover things, but you have to know what their names were, to do that, right?
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Seems like Dropbox maximizes your vulnerability to ransomware, though. I don't leave remote devices attached to my file systems, ever. For synchronization and version control I use git, both on my boxes and on GitHub/GitLab.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My main drives are partitioned C and D and I put the Dropbox file on D. I don't work on D. Imagine a gigabyte of spice .RAW file being uploaded every time I run a sim!

I wrote a little drag-drop app that I call NUFILES that copies only newer files. That lets me sync project folders on C and D if I want to. My master folder of any project is always the one at work, so I can pave over the remote copies when in doubt.

Dropbox support won't tell me why all of my PCs got un-synced.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I bought a solid state disk and put it on the PCI bus. It comes up as partition "O", above the Linux partitions, which are on their own (spinning) disk.

At the moment I only use it for LTSpice, because it gives me instant access to the even the biggest simulation files that that I generate.

I'm tempted to put Thunderbird there as well, because it has gotten rather slow.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I like Apples Time Machine, I have a 4TB machine at the shop and another at home and my business laptop simply moves between the two locations. I have a spare laptop in case this one melts down and two complete archives either of which can restore my machine in about 1 hour at worst.

I only use Dropbox for sharing stuff, can't trust cloud computing as I don't have local control.

I shudder to think what might happen if Adobe or similar site gets nailed and all their cloud stuff vanishes for a few hours or days.

One of our local ISPs (Telus) lost ALL the email client online data and it took a few MONTHS to recover from that fiasco - yeah, it was all on the cloud - they at least had backups and could restore, but loosing email for a few months ticked off a bunch of people.

"Cloud Computing - don't talk to me about Cloud Computing!" (what Marvin the Paranoid Android should have said)

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson