PCI and "Risers"

Anyone have experience with designs of these things?

It's a VIA mombo which has to work with some telcom boards.

I think we're seeing SI issues due to the use of a few inches of 25 thou pitch flex cable. Go multilayer flex-rigid with a ground plane?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If there are other PCI slots on the board, a riser will not work unless it is plugged into the last slot (furthest away from the CPU-PCI bridge chip). If you need to plug the riser into a different slot, you'll need a PCI to PCI bridge to create a new bus.

I don't know if PCI will work over flex or ribbon cable. The impedance changes when going from PCB to flex cable may cause problems. A PCI bus is an unterminated bus BTW. The spec says a maximum of 4 slots per bus segment is allowed.

You could move to PCI express. Because these are point to point connections, they are easier to extend to approx 1 meter (3 feet). IIRC I've already seen PCI express devices for which the card is a simple extender to a DVI-like connector. The actuall PCI express device is in an external enclosure.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

I have an ~3 dm long PCI 32 bit extender taken from a laptop docking station. It works quite ok. But SI issues can easily be noted. It might be related to that the original box had only 1 slot, and was shielded. :)

Ie extending internal computer bus is tricky. The only solution without any real concers to electrical characteristics is that of an 1-2 MHz Z80 system connected to an A/D card via 1-meter of cable.

Reply to
sky465nm

I have one in the works, its an offset design. You need to avoid discontinuities of the ground plain that the signal rides on. It is also a reflective switching bus, that is the PCI slot closest to the PCI interface is the last to be clocked. if you need to extend it you must use the furthest slot. Get the PCI spec, it floating around on the net somewhere.

Martin Riddle

Forgery what?

Reply to
sky465nm

You are posting via Aioe.org NNTP Server.

You are about to be eliminated.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

It's too bad that someone hasn't used about 12 pounds of C4 on the aioe.org server. I wonder if 'Homeland Security' should have a talk with the Italian government about aioe.org?

It is registered through Tucows inc. and is due renewal on

11-May-2008

The 'operator's phone numer is listed below, if anyone would like to personally file a complaint.

Domain ID:D26855856-LROR Domain Name:AIOE.ORG Created On:11-May-2000 16:59:42 UTC Last Updated On:10-May-2007 16:03:17 UTC Expiration Date:11-May-2008 16:59:42 UTC Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR) Status:OK Registrant ID:tufdZhsS7bbg2vPK Registrant Name:Paolo Amoroso Registrant Organization:Paolo Amoroso Registrant Street1:Via L. Rech 80 Registrant Street2: Registrant Street3: Registrant City:Roma Registrant State/Province:RM Registrant Postal Code:00156 Registrant Country:IT Registrant Phone:+39.0575560999 Registrant Phone Ext.: Registrant FAX:+39.0575562849 Registrant FAX Ext.: Registrant ************@tiscalinet.it Admin ID:tufdZhsS7bbg2vPK Admin Name:Paolo Amoroso Admin Organization:Paolo Amoroso Admin Street1:Via L. Rech 80 Admin Street2: Admin Street3: Admin City:Roma Admin State/Province:RM Admin Postal Code:00156 Admin Country:IT Admin Phone:+39.0575560999 Admin Phone Ext.: Admin FAX:+39.0575562849 Admin FAX Ext.: Admin ************@tiscalinet.it Tech ID:tuC6uKxbYbv5lGxM Tech Name:Stefano Cecconi Tech Organization:Technorail Srl Tech Street1:Piazza Garibaldi 8 Tech Street2: Tech Street3: Tech City:Soci Tech State/Province:Arezzo Tech Postal Code:52010 Tech Country:IT Tech Phone:+39.0575560999 Tech Phone Ext.: Tech FAX:+39.0575562849 Tech FAX Ext.: Tech ***************@technet.it Name Server:DNS2.TECHNORAIL.COM Name Server:DNS.TECHNORAIL.COM

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, and it's not by choice. The webb interface of google groups suck. Suggestions on free usenet servers that have an NNTP interface is welcome. I was not aware of the aioe.org mess, I just found it. It worked, servers stay up, speedy etc.. So it became the choice. I will try to find a more permanent solution but for the time being aioe.org will have to do.

Reply to
sky465nm

I think that there are free accounts on giganews or terranews. They also have reasonably priced accounts as well.

Reply to
JosephKK

Maybe not.

Reply to
JosephKK

Is aioe.org your real ISP? Doesn't your ISP have a news server of their own?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There are also titannews and supernews, who may or may not have free accounts but usually have inexpensive accounts.

Reply to
JosephKK

It's not my ISP.

They "had" and then b0rked it. Proberbly gone into club of misworking organisation. And I don't wan't to waste too much energy on it. I have a superb solution to it. But it will take time esp when doing an electronics project aswell & other stuff.

I do find webbforums to attract more of the "eternal september" type of ppl. So it's useful, but no real edge on it.

Reply to
sky465nm