Xilinx JTAG Parallel IV cable and INITIALIZING CHAIN

I have spent three-four days on several XPLA3 CPLD boards that I've designed (same boards) to determine why the JTAG is not working properly. I cannot initialize the chain to "read" what devices are on the boundary scan chain, nor will TDO change states. I can set "levels" on TDI, TMS, and TCK using the "Start Debug Chain" portion of the Xilinx IMPACT software.

I am using the Parallel IV cable and have read a few places it could be cable length issues? Does ANYONE have any type of experience with this? I've been wracking my brains out trying to figure out what's wrong.

I am using a "home-made" cable because my PCB is used in embedded application with limited space.

Even went to a BLANK PCB and stuffed only CPLD, linear regulator, and caps.

Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated...

Thanks!

Reply to
Ronald Chung

Try to add an 1K pull-up on TDO and let me know if that's better.

Laurent

Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

place the pull-up on 5V (if you have a 5V)

Laurent

Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

OOPS, try to download xpla_programmer.exe from our webpage

That's the old programmer provided by Philips for Xilinx. You will find the schematic of the how to connect the PC parallel port to the XPLA JTAG PORT.

PS: Are you sure about the PIN PORT_EN of your XPLA, when your are in JTAG mode, these pin must be at '1' logic.

Laurent

Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

Thanks for the help...

I finally figured out there was a pin-mis-wire on my schematics... hidden in all the hierarchy. Thought I had checked the wiring, but must have missed it...

Things are configuring now.

Just a note for those out there.... if you get erratic behaviour because the JTAG sometimes will and/or will not initialize the chain, it could be due to swapping TDI and TCK.

RC

Reply to
Ronald Chung