Fallow times for the bitcoin hustlers

Bottom has dropped out of the price and blockchain difficulty has increased to the point that the small-time GPU miner players have nothing left to do but close up shop and hit the lights.

If you're looking for a sweet GPU-accelerated supercomputer rig for doing real work at fire-sale price now might be the time to buy.

Reply to
bitrex

GPU hasn't been viable for bitcoin for years.

Jasen Betts

Yikes, he got seriously ripped off on the grates and fans and breaker boxes. Like 5:1 or so. Idiot.

I predicted that, lots of used bitcoin iron on ebay. It never made sense that most anyone could buy a lot of CPUs to waste electricity and get rich.

Even the new stuff is "make offer."

lunatic fringe electronics

During a gold rush the smart money is on getting into the shovels and pick-axes business...

Reply to
bitrex

Saloons and whorehouses did big business too. Shovels and axes last too long.

Reply to
krw
10,000 mH/s? Mili-hertz? Is not that a bit f-ff-ffast compared to a snail?
Reply to
Robert Baer

megahash per second = 1 million SHA256 hashes per second

Reply to
bitrex

I'm in an argumentative mood today, I suppose.

The prefix for 1 million is 'M', not 'm'. Moreover, 'H' is reserved the henry, the unit of inductance, not some number of hashes. Finally, since the number exceeds one thousand, you should use the next higher prefix. So it's 10 G hashes/s.

BitCoin is bound to fail. It *should* fail. It scales very badly and it's voluntarily wasteful of real resources. It's criminally profligate.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Jeroen Belleman

Interesting viewpoint. A year or so ago I looked into it, and wanted to kind of 'very fast very rich by cracking it now' but found that way too much 'puter power was needed even with FPGAs. Did not want to invest that much. Also found IBM seems involved in a big way in it, and just recently I did read IBM bought rathead Linux. So maybe IBM is bound to fail too.

Anyways cloud sucks,

1) I do not want my data on other servers. 2) If anything happens commie-nukation breaks down so does the cloud and so does bitcoin.

Back to gold coins, mapleleafs :-)

It is all part of capitalist sell [snake oil if it must be] at any price and any argument [valid or not] like the human made glowballworming scam, a great tool for politicians to tax the weather and get some more money from the people. All this will have to fail, will fail, in the next global war or natural disaster. Already over here we had collapse for AbnAmro bank IT, nobody could pay with PIN codes in the shops or online, most people do not carry or use cash so huge damage and inconvenience, just their bad IT (they blamed hackers and denial of service attacks but no such thing in my test). Now just wait till the power goes out.... then no machines to get you banknotes from either. Society is getting more vulnerable with the minute, and knowledge of how it all works is getting more and more sparse. We are in a for a big wakeup call. Bitcoin is the least of all worries.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Dropbox is great. I can work anywhere; all my files are on all my PCs, updated in real time.

I use it for my cabin automation too, through shared files.

If Dropbox went down (and it doesn't) all the shared files are still on all of my PCs.

Poverty and hunger and disease are declining throughout the world. Mostly because of technology.

lunatic fringe electronics

Do not understand why you do not rent some webserver space, like I for example use godaddy. Advertising free.

Half of Africa is dying from hunger, The not third world part of the world likes to sell those weapons .. US sells weapons to Saudi Arabia to kill millions and hunger them out, likes to keep dictators in power. World uses people fleeing for the wars US makes as cheap labor.

Your 'precedent' is a war criminal.

So much for high tech. OTOH it has always been that way, one ant heap against the other, Also it has always been the way that empires fell, as mentioned recently empires fall because they rot away from the inside first. Good luck with your highschool shootings, discrimination, flipped out trigger happy police, useless taxpayer sucking weapons, silly deadlocked government, outrageous deficit, etc etc

And high tech? What high tech? China is way ahead of you now, you need to resort to locking up the Huawei chair-women to protect yourself from higher quality imports. You have already lost a war that has not even started yet.

:-)

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"cloud" is here to stay.

Even the government uses it. Their server farms are simply orders of magnitude more secure and likely ipv6 access only.

Our shit is lame. If you are not a terrorist, your cologne formula or your special invention isn't in any danger of getting filtched in a manner timely enough to make it profitable. So it simply isn't happening. It is too labor intensive.

Reply to
DLUNU

Dropbox is hosted by AWS, and has no advertising. What I like is the automatic updating of files that are resident on my various PCs.

You snipped my links.

In the 1850s, the murder rate in San Francisco was something like 20x what it is today. For law-abiding engineers, it is zero.

There is no war; China's progress does not diminish us.

lunatic fringe electronics

From PC to dropbox? or from dropbox to PC? Both can be scripted in a lines of bash on any Linux PC to any website that has ssh support. Most pictures I show on my website are scripted from here to there.

Yes

Chicago?

It makes you look like idiots, and forces the rest of the world to look for an other currency than the US dollar and unite to force a regime change.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

From PC to PC. In background, continuously. In the folders that I select, the files are resident and identical on four different machines.

I don't run Spice on files in shared folders, because I don't want giant .RAW files transported all over California.

All my PCs have a D: partition, which is where I put the Dropbox folders.

Here's my cabin webcam and heater automation

I can drop command files into that Dropbox folder and a program in the cabin executes them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
[...]

We don't yet realize it, having grown up in a time of progress and abundance, but the normal state of living beings is in ferocious competition for resources. Unless we are able to stem our growth --and I don't think we are-- I'm convinced we'll hit a limit, some time. I just don't know what and when.

Climate change is probably not it. ;-)

Malthus and the club of Rome were wrong in the magnitude and the timing, but not in principle. Unlimited exponential growth is impossible on a finite earth.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Civilization tends to reduce birth rates. It has in the developed world, so one nice plan is to feed and educate everyone, to both reduce their misery and eventually balance population and resources.

The extremists, like Erlich and his pals, almost look forward to the deaths of billions. He suggested giving up on India, triage.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote

OK, but then your computer in the cabin must access dropbox every so many seconds? Your second link took maybe 10 seconds to respond, and I did see google pass by in the browser bottom line. So does your cabin poll dropbox for a request from your PC?

There was a thread recently in comp.sys.raspberry.pi about tunneling to get a connection between computers via a second site. maybe I will try that some time. Deleted that posting after one of the links in it caused me to reboot my PC after 155 days uptime.. but it was about this site (is not the bad link), but you never know...

BTW I think I can also use Usenet for that, I can have my newsreader for example check for a posting in alt.test and have an other PC send an [possibly encrypted] command / message if it sees some message from somewhere. Can be in a header, like the header of this message, check it for temperature and humidity here.

Also the date and location for the US invasion can be send that way to agents :-) Actually NewsFleX has a special encryption function build in.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Quality of life in many poor regions of India has improved significantly over the past 25 years or so.

It's also quietly improved in the more stable regions of Africa that don't make the news too often.

In part simply via leapfrogging the historical path to progress of 3rd world countries in the 20th century in a 21st century way. Why build miles of high tension lines when you can generate wind and solar energy for small villages on site. Why string telephone lines and run fiber optics when you have cell phones and WiMax. Why rip up miles of forest to build highways when you can have your critical supplies flown in in under an hour by autonomous drone.

Reply to
bitrex

The cargo cultists were right after all though maybe not in the way they expected.

35 years from now the Amazon warehouse will be in orbit, a doctor in sub Saharan Africa desperately need some obscure medical supply just punch a code into an app and the space bay robot tosses it into a bin (in space!) and into a re-usable ablative pod and it gets dropped onto your front stoop from orbit on the next pass.
Reply to
bitrex