PC Boards, needing some made, and questions

I have my schematic and boards designed in Eagle and will need to order some in maybe a week or so, need a few changes. Any recommended places for low volume, maybe 10 or more depending on price? I've used ExpressPCB before but I don't want to redraw everything in their software.

Also, for surface mount chips, is solder mask essential or beneficial? For the solder paste, do you have a stencil made and then do something like silk screening but with solder paste? Or am I better off using an iron and solder wick to remove excess solder?

Thanks!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Use Eagle's CAM processor and turn it into the usual Gerber files? Then any board house will accept your job.

I always have a stencil made but that's because even low volumes are for professional use by clients, meaning the client wants it that way and pays for it. Most reputable contract assemblers won't do the job without. If it was 10 boards just for me I'd probably consider hand soldering but not if it's dozens of TSSOP and stuff per board.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I've been happy with Sunstone and their PCBexpress service for commercial quick turn prototyping. Haven't done any personal boards lately but I'd certainly give their ValueProto (up to 2 week lead) option a try.

I have used the batch PCB service that's associated with Sparkfun not too long ago. The boards took a while to show up but the prices and boards were good.

Both are Gerbers + a drill file, although Sunstone does also support a no-cost proprietary capture + layout toolset (never used it so I don't know how well it works).

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

I also like PCB Express from Sunstone, although I'm sure there are other good ones. They have a set of Eagle CAM files to support you in generating a compatible file set.

I don't think there's any advantage to stencil & solder paste unless you're going to reflow the solder. I wouldn't consider reflow unless (a) I have to stick down a BGA package, or (b) I have to do production volumes. Everything I prototype is done without solder mask or silk; fine-pitch packages are soldered with the "flood & fix" method.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

PCB Cart is excellent quality and decent price. Their online quoting tool is superb. Enter board size, minimum pitch, not-to-exceed holes and bingo, a price to the penny before you order.

NRE isn't too bad, and their individual board prices are hard to beat.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

I and many others on here use

Not essential, but the price difference is almost negligable, so might as well get it.

Iron and solder wick is much easier and less fuss, unless you have specific reason for wanting to do oven reflow soldering (BGA's for example). The hollow point "wicking" or "solder well" iron tips are useful for SMD work.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones