Sony KV-27V26 - Lost video. Dusted and it works. Outlook?

Sony KV-27V26, built in Oct '97. The video suddenly went out.

I would turn it on and it would be fine for 10-60 seconds, then the picture would compress into a 1' horizontal picture for 5-10 seconds and then it would go blank until the next time I'd turn it on. If I'd turn it off & right back on, it'd just go right to a blank screen. Audio is always okay.

I don't do TV repair, but did read up on it & Sony's common blanking problem (esp for time when mine was built.)

I opened it up to try to adjust the voltage & see if I can "buy some time." Very dusty. I blew it out with a can of compressed air. Turned the TV on and it workedfine! It's been on for about an hour and is okay. Never had to touch the voltage adjuster.

Anyone have any idea how long I can expect this TV to work? Was the excessive dust allowing it to short somewhere? Any possible damage caused or things that might give me trouble in the future?

Thanks!

Reply to
John Williams

John: You did NOT fix anything.... the intermittent problem is still lurking in the television.... possibly cracked or faulty solder connnections in and around the V Deflection circuitry or the flyback derived B+ sources to that circuitry. Blowing the dust out may keep things a little cooler thus the cracked connections won't act up as much..... get this fixed right before it fails drastically and more expensively.... do not nurse this along. electricitym

-- - - - -

Reply to
electricitym

First, thanks for replying. :)

I don't know anything about TV repair. Where is the vertical deflection circuit board? The flyback... is that the 3-4" tall black part that sits on the mainboard between the AV outs and what looks like silver heat sinks? It also has a think red wire going from it to the top of the back of the TV.

I can see no signs of cracking. Would this be visible or would I need to measure resistances all over?

Anyone have a picture/layout of one of the inside of one of these models? Or just of a Sony or generic layout would be helpful too.

Thanks agian,

Reply to
John Williams

Oh yeah, I also figure me moving everything around to get the back cover off and then pulling the main board out some might've reconnected a bad/cracking connection.

Would either of those you mentioned be a relatively inexpensive replacement at a shop?

Reply to
John Williams

need

tech, as you could mess things up more if you lack the experience and knowledge to tackle this. At the very least you need to be able to solder precisely, and locate the suspect areas. I feel it will work out cheaper in the long run to get this set looked at by a pro, especially since it could just mean a bit of soldering. If you leave it, more expenisve components will be stressed.

good luck. Ben

It doesn't need a replacement, as such, it needs a professional resoldering of the vertical deflection circuitry. Don't try it yourself, because the pins are very close together, and should you bridge then and not see it, then it could be anything from an expensive repair to not worth the money.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

You disturbed something back in to place that is failing. The fix will be temporary. It will take an experienced TV service tech to properly service this for you.

The fault may be an intermittent solder connection, or a component that is starting to fail. The tech can not visually find the failure, he will have to provoke the set to be in the failing condition, and then troubleshoot it to find where the failure is.

Servicing these sets, is not based on simple resistance measurements. There are proper procedures, and tests to properly service a TV set.

For safety reasons you should not be messing in your set. There are serious safety issues involved.

--

JANA _____

First, thanks for replying. :)

I don't know anything about TV repair. Where is the vertical deflection circuit board? The flyback... is that the 3-4" tall black part that sits on the mainboard between the AV outs and what looks like silver heat sinks? It also has a think red wire going from it to the top of the back of the TV.

I can see no signs of cracking. Would this be visible or would I need to measure resistances all over?

Anyone have a picture/layout of one of the inside of one of these models? Or just of a Sony or generic layout would be helpful too.

Thanks agian,

Reply to
JANA