Out-of-tolerance zero ohm resistors

It may be easier for low production runs where you don't have the temperature profiles set perfectly and on rarely run products but there is no reason for it in mass production. It only adds cost. I was objecting to his "most modern digital" statement.

That's the "storage" point above.

Reply to
krw

Good idea. At the PPOE, we were failing ICT on one land with one of the products. Turns out that purchasing went to a new "cheaper" supplier in India. One of the nets went over the 3-ohm open-limit (should never have been more than ~.1 ohm). They blamed it on "some necking" at corners. Yeah, right.

True, particularly if you're plating up from .5oz (typical). Our quality group is all over the suppliers where it matters (==where specified).

Reply to
krw

We have a full auto P&P line, 7 zone oven with nitrogen, and do some batches in the hundreds. My production people want gold.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The contract assemblers I use wanted me to switch to gold plating to make their assembly easier. I got them to agree to it not costing me more, but each batch is quoted so I'd have no way to verify that, lol. Still, they had a strong preference. My runs are typically 100 boards, so still not large production.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:26:48 -0400, krw Gave us:

All mil PCBs these days are Gold plated traces and pads. and vias.

Not rare at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:26:48 -0400, krw Gave us:

Nope. A rivulet was when the solder mask was loose enough that the traces filled up with solder appearing like tiny rivers under the mask. It would have been simple had you simply gone and looked up the term. Typical of old power supplies and cheaper PCB assemblies. HASL and tighter mask layers fixed it in most cases. Yer brain must be rivetted. Maybe that is an IBM fellow thing. Hehehe.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On 31 May 2015 22:23:49 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

snip

One can get 16 layers into 0.062 these days. count again.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 31 May 2015 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us: snip

You'd be better off re-processing the tailings of an old abandoned mine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'd take the copper!

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:20:09 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

Depends on whether or not he got schott along the way.

Don't poisson yourself trying to figure it out.

Iz it twoo what they say?

The Johnson noise only shows up when you are in Rock Ridge.

Mongo likes beans. 1 over f... FART! noise!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 31 May 2015 21:05:34 -0400, krw Gave us:

Most PCB houses are keyed toward it, and it does not add that much to cost and DOES improve reliability as the boards are simply better, AND if you want to sell in Europe, you have to use lead-free, and that means gold on nickel.

Nice try though.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 31 May 2015 21:05:34 -0400, krw Gave us:

Gold does NOT oxidize.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Golden inner layers too?

Strictly, the stack is only half a mile high, since there's gold top and bottom. Problem solved.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On Sun, 31 May 2015 20:54:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

Actually, he (you) was referring to stacking *only* the gold layers, and that stack would end up as one meter in thickness, no matter what direction it faced.

But certain charged particles would pass through all of them, and occasionally, one would strike a nucleus and get deflected from its original path. ;-)

A million chances with each one... (particle)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is a significant extra cost, it is used a lot on small runs and prototypes but HASL is the usual finish for mass production I believe.

No it does not it means lead-free HASL.

nickel-gold also works of course but it costs extra.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It's electroless nickel and microinches of gold immersion, not much gold. The gold dissolves in the solder.

ROHS sucks, but sucks a little less on ENIG boards.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We had another name for them. SOlder would bunch up on traces and make bulges in the solder mask, sometimes crack it.

The fix was SMOBC, so that there was no solder on masked traces.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sure.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Because they don't have the line set up properly. It's probably cheaper to use the gold than to do the job properly anyway.

Reply to
krw

Right. Small lots. Ask them about 50K a month.

Reply to
krw