0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

There are some sellers on ebay who are selling assorted resistors in quantity. Some of them claim these assortments contain 0 ohm resistors.... WTF. Wouldn't that be a piece of wire?

What would be the point of that?

How would you even color code it?

Reply to
oldschool

used as jumpers when you don't have enough pcb layers.

Reply to
mike

Also designed for component insertion machines which can't really handle bare wire.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Can be used as "ID" links to enable/disable features on different runs of a board.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So these things really *DO* exist??? I thought it was either a typo, or the webpage was made up by someone who was clueless about electronics.

That seerms pretty goofy, but I do imagine some machines cant handle the bare wires.....

I'm guessing they are just a piece of solid wire with a "shell" around it.

Now, assuming they use a color code on them, what would it be? I thought it would be Black - Black - Black, but that is actually ONE OHM. (I always have a hard time comprehending that one).

So I cant imagine how to color code ZERO Ohms...

Reply to
oldschool

They ca over pass a track without needing 2 vias.

Reply to
Look165
[about zero-ohm resistors]

One black band around the middle is a common marking.

Reply to
whit3rd

Please note that there are SMD versions of these as well. They will be marked with a single zero(0).

You will often see these used to jump a trace in SMD applications.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Perhaps someone is sneaking "high temperature" (meaning ambient) superconductors onto the market with no fanfare?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

One ohm is brown, black, gold.

Zero ohm should be black, black, any.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Are you saying that approximately zero is good enough?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

I have seen thee or four zeros, depending on the tolerance. They were 5% and 1%. We used them on circuit boards when a pad wasn't needed.

I see that they now sell 0.05% as well:

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the third band is the multiplier, and since the two first bands are zero, you can multiply with anything you like. So, black, black, white would still be zero.

Now that I think about it, one ohm could also be black, brown, black.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Yes, see the point; I went off half-c*ck (approx) thinking the "any" was tolerance. I suppose a minus power of ten multiplier would be good, too (I forget the colours)...

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

According to this chart (and others like it), One Ohm is black -black - black...

oldschool

And here it's Brown - Black - Gold.

Seems like this is a common misconception....

Reply to
oldschool

I believe you are reading that chart wrong.

I have some resistors and checked them out. One is a brown black gold and is 1 ohm. Another is brown black silver and is .1 ohms. That is measured with a Fluke 87 VOM.

I don't know for sure, but maybe the resistors do not start off with a black band. Don't have any loose resistors to check, but many on circuit boards are a solid color with a black band in the middle.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

SMD is surface mounted device. For resistors and capacitors they are usually small and flat. They are usually silver colored on the ends. That is there you solder them to the circuit board. The ICs will often have what seems like very short leads. They lay flat on the circuit board also.

Check out this youtube video as to what they are and ways to work with them. For very much work it helps to have a good 10 to 20 power stereo microscope.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, that is not correct. Notice that the fourth band says "multiplier".

The chart shows four bands plus tolerance, which means three digits plus a multiplier, plus tolerance.

You multiply the first three bands with the multiplier value. Since the three first bands in your example are all zero, you must multiply zero by one ohm, which is still zero.

An easy way to remember how the multiplier band works, is to think of it as "number of zeroes".

--
RoRo
Reply to

Now that I know what the initials mean, I know what these are. I have seen them. As far as I'm concerned, they are the devices which cant not be repaired, unless the whole boards are replaced. Yes, i am sure they can be repaired, but it wont be me working on them. Poor eyesite is just part of the reason. Thats why I prefer the old tube stuff to work on, or at least the early transistorized stuff on single layer boards, which contain parts that can be touched without using a tweezers....

For me, IC chips and SMDs took the fun out of electronics as a hobby... (Not that they are bad, but they are not for the home workshop, they are made for robots in factories that create them, and people who have very expensive test gear to trace them). I still recall trying to unsolder some IC chips, and ruining them every time. Then spending days or weeks trying to locate replacement parts, because they are factory numbers that cant just simply be purchased.

Reply to
oldschool