Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

A layout took a bit longer so after getting burned by a non-stock CAM
hold last time I went through the BOM again before we go to fab. 1/3rd
of the resistors and caps went out of stock over the last two weeks!
They were in stock when I created the BOM a couple of weeks ago. We are
talking 2k 1% in 0805 and so on. It's almost like the local supermarket
running out of potatoes. Which can happen in Venezuela but not in the US.

Does anyone knows what is going on?

Also, does anyone know how to submit a list with all values, key in 1%
and 0805 as default, and then the distributor site comes back with a
stocked part at lowest price for each?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

http://www.advancedmp.com/resistor-shortage-why-and-how/

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Another interesting post linked from that site:

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiinc/en/resources/marketeye/categories/passives/me-zogbi-20180302.html

TL,DR: blame Elon Musk

-- john, KE5FX

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Thanks, that explains it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?
On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 7:58:55 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wro
te:

S.

This doesn't really explain much.  They state a some facts, but don't indic
ate the real reason why these facts happen.  From what I can read between t
he lines, demand for resistors (like everything else) has been steadily inc
reasing for some years (yes, growth is the general trend in electronics).
But for an unexplained reason, the manufacturers have not increased their c
apacity.  The result is they have not been meeting demand for some time now
 and lead times have been stretching out until they stopped taking future o
rders.

Without a better understanding of why the resistor manufacturers would not
grow capacity with demand, we can't know the actual "why" behind the curren
t shortage.

Rick C.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

They have a finite budget for production line construction and maintenance.
My assumption is there's been plenty of spending on production capacity, but
it has all been aimed at smartphone and tablet components.  You don't see a
lot of 0805s or 0603s in an iPhone.

Meanwhile, the automotive sector does use a lot of those components, and
their volume assures that they get the lion's share.  That leaves the rest
of us -- meaning everybody not building either cars or cellphones -- begging
for floor sweepings.

Most people, even around here, don't understand just how different electronic
devices look today than they did ten years ago.  The component manufacturers
sure do, though.

-- john, KE5FX

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

That backfires though. Most of my stuff is produced for many years or
for decades. Clients typically do not change a thing unless absolutely
necessary. So all those Panasonic resistors that I had to kick out of
the BOMs won't likely ever make it back in even if they become available
again.

Sometimes the old devices are way better. The fancy Rio stereo in the
living room started falling apart piece by piece, function by function,
shortly after its warranty period ended. A month ago I'd had it and sent
it to E-waste. Brought my wife's big old early 70's stereo up from the
man cave. It still works great, has much better reception, better sound
and I began to wonder why we ever bought this highfalutin newfangled stuff.

For downstairs I dusted off the old Drake SSR-1 receiver, hooked up two
big Rio speaker we had kept and that works as well, also better than
this new stuff.

Now if we want to change a station we have to get off the chair again ->
improves fitness -> what a concept ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?
rote:

e.
but

That doesn't sound right because the growth in demand is in exactly those a
reas you say they are paying attention to.  Unless they are actually rampin
g down production of the larger parts in a very significant way, the demand
 should be reducing, not increasing.

ing

But other than the small portion of the market of electric vehicles, there
shouldn't be any more increase in demand by automotive than anywhere else,
no?  I've not heard that autos are growing by leaps and bounds or that they
 use dramatically more electronics than a few years ago.

onic
ers

Not sure what you mean.  Yeah, the creep is to use smaller parts and PWBs w
ith smaller features to make mobile products smaller... but otherwise, I be
lieve they are not much changed.

Rick C.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Demand for 01005 and smaller parts goes up by 10x due to Apple and Samsung.
The resistor manufacturer respond by spending their whole budget scaling up
production accordingly.

Then, demand for 0805s and 0603s goes up by 2x due to the automakers.
There's not much left in the kitty for expansion of production of those,
so the automakers get ALL of it.

They definitely do, even without considering electric powertrains.
"Telematics" is the buzzword du jour.

-- john, KE5FX

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Great buzzword, but what is in a car today that wasn't in a car five years ago when the demand started to rise?  XM radio, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, etc., etc. has all been around for at least a decade.

Rick C.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?
On Thu, 24 May 2018 08:17:39 -0700 (PDT),

HUDs are fairly recent, IIRC. Lane departure warnings. Driving/parking
assist.  None of that requires telematics, though. Smart highways are
the current "big thing".

http://kdvr.com/2017/01/05/c-dot-panasonic-to-turn-i-70-into-a-smart-highway/

Of course, you won't be interested in it because it takes more than
five years to completely cycle the rolling stock.

A lot of automotive engineering is just that, engineering.  It's not
so much about making new gadgets but making gadgets reliable and cheap
enough to be accepted in sufficient quantities to drive the cost curve
down further.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Plus tons of gizmos. 60 micro controllers instead of "only" 40, and so on.

Then, during a thunderstorm about 60 miles after passing the sign "No
services next 120mi" a little red light comes on and the engine quits.

IME the reliability of a motor vehicle is almost inverserly
proportionate to the amount of electronics on it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

These features are only in the highest end autos.  Hardly the cause of a large increase in capacitor sales.

Rick C.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

[...]

The Ford Fiesta isn't exactly a highest end auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekihzLTN-SE

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

and even high end models sell a lot of units

I've seen a solution to this that always struck me as horrible: resistive ink printed direct onto the pcb. Tolerance must be real rough, but good enough for some jobs.

NT

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 6:24:09 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[about automobile electroics]

I've seen resistive-ink boards with laser-trim tracks in the ink (covered with a lacquer).   It
might take such trimming to get from 20% to 2%, but it can be cheap in mass production,
and work for years.    Tracking should be excellent.   Impossible to sollder in a replacement resistor, though.

Printed resistors with laser-trim used to be seen only on ceramic substrates,
in the head amplifier of high-price hard disk drives.
It's gone down in the world.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Scrape off resistor, solder new one on. Or solder it to the tracks either side. Or if all else fails sleeve the legs & solder to whatever other component pads the resistor ends up connecting to.

I saw a fair few printed ink boards in the 80s. IIRC the ink always struck me as of uneven thickness, thicker than screen printing.

NT

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

That's funny, the Ford web site doesn't indicate Active Park Assist is actually available on the Fiesta.  I think you've been duped.

But in looking at the Ford web site I see there are a lot of things in new cars that wasn't in them a few years ago.  I guess I haven't been in dealerships enough lately.

Rick C.

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

One example to consider might be backup cameras.  They are now required in
all passenger cars sold in the US.  So not only does there have to be a
camera, there needs to be a display for it.

This mandate was originally supposed to go into effect several years ago
(2014?) but was postponed at the last minute, for whatever reason.

-- john, KE5FX

Re: Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Maybe they expected a component shortage?

Rick C.

Site Timeline