OT: Windows Disaster Time

In message , Jim Thompson writes

If you can run Forte agent with task manager have you tried starting Explorer again?

Put the drive in another machine, make a complete backup of it, put it back where it came from, then, from the task manager, run the last service pack you installed (SP4 I hope unless you're running SQL Personal). Providing this brings the machine back, you need to re-apply all the hotfixes and scan the drives for errors.

None.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Isn't that the other way round?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

OS X isn't really based on Linux, but on FreeBSD, which is genuine industrial-strength Unix, from Bell Labs via the University of California at Berkely. UCB was one of the first Unix source licensees, and was the first major fork in the Unix development tree. To be fair, there may not be much of the original Unix code left in BSD. A full changelog from AT&T Unix to FreeBSD 6 would, if printed out, probably require a truckload of paper.

Reply to
Steve Rush

He's right, running linux, mac's finally become reliable.

Reply to
Chuck Harris

In message , Jim Thompson writes

If you're happy that your hardware is good and your HDD is also good, try the service pack trick below, it will replace explorer and key files whilst re-writing their registry values without upsetting your installed software, I include the backup stuff so you're aware that anything you try whilst in this state could cause data loss but this trick has repaired lots of 'faulty' or damaged installs for me without data loss (My job, a software/hardware tech, I play with electronics now.)

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Yes, it should be there. I just typed 'sfc /scannow' into my start/run line and it started (I have win2K Pro).

Reply to
rex

What good would that do him? I have a pile of them waiting to be scrapped.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mine is different. Explorer IS stopped. Trying to start it gives an error message.

...Jim Thompson

In message , Jim Thompson writes

If you have network connectivity, no problem, however it works is good. If this is the case you could run the service pack from a network share as well.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

There is one good thing that I regularly do, i back up with ghost. THat way if it ever comes down to an OS re-install, i just pick up the last good ghost image and away I go. I do weekly backups of work, monthly images of the OS.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I had a similar problem from a virus. It would boot into a blue screen desktop with no icons, etc. I fixed it by hitting ctrl alt del, stopping explorer.exe, restarting explorer.exe by typing it in the new task box. That got the computer running well enough to run adaware, spyware doctor, trendmicro house call, and panda's online scanner. Panda and Spyware doctor seem to work the best at finding the really hidden crap. Once done, install Firefox, as a lot of problems disappear after that. The virus I had came from a malicious website, and then the virus downloaded a bunch of it's friends which made a mess.

Reply to
Jeff

The first thing I do in such situations (which seem to happen on two year cycles :-), is backup. I backed up 45GB of verified files across the network last night while we went to dinner.

This, fortunately, is NOT my PSpice machine. I keep my PSpice machine free of downloads, E-mail and other such frivolities, because PSpice is my bread-and-butter.

The screwed up machine is used for E-mail, newsgroups, and such.

...Jim Thompson

Sorry for the top-post, have to cut to the chase...sounds like Spyware, Trojan, Virus...ET phoning home for some reason.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Unfortunately I have a gezillion little utilities, like custom dBm calculators, etc. ;-)

The sheer joy of having to re-install everything is what I'd like to avoid, but I'm "afeared" it's format and re-install time :-(

...Jim Thompson

And had you not chosen to be critical where no critcism was warranted,
I would not have chosen to criticize you.
Reply to
John Fields

Maybe I can get to that tomorrow. I'm in grunt mode right now, copying customer schematics into my system :-(

...Jim Thompson

Have you tried doing a file compare between the 'damaged' explorer.exe and the same file on one of your 'undamaged' PCs ?

If the files match, you're likely looking at a damaged dll file.

You could conceivably copy all the critical windows exe and dll files from one pc to the affected one over your network.

Do you know what processes are running when you boot up ? I don't know if it supports W2K but I've found 'startup control panel' a freeware tool very useful. It'll also show certain other stuff like dialler trojans that install themselves too.

Just checked. It's good for 2k so check it out.

I'd suggest you use the standalone version to begin with. No registry messing.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:29:59 GMT, Tom MacIntyre Gave us:

Proper posting is proper posting. Excuses are excuses. It took as much time to make the apology as it would have to have placed the text where it belongs.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

--
How convenient.  You\'ve already decided on what my response would be,
prior to the fact, and have issued an edict countering that imaginary

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:16:02 -0500, John Fields Gave us:

Said the great critique troll of the electronic forums of Usenet. My post was then, and is now, right on cue.

I doubt you'll even get that phrase right, however. Here's a hint "cue" IS the intended word. Your estimation that it should be "queue" is as incorrect as your decision that my post was unwarranted.

It's a billiard phrase, and something that I have yet to see you be.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness