Help! Windows disaster

My Outlook Express on my normal account on my home PC refuses to open - I just get an error message. However, if I open another account on my machine, Outlook Express works just fine. That looks like a path to recovery.

However, I have sorted a lot of emails into folders on the original account and I would like to copy them over. The problem is, I don't know where XP puts such things. Does anyone know where to look?

Reply to
Richard Henry

You have a corrupted mail file. Google for the fix.

Reply to
Brian

Get Eudora ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Only lazy and stupid people use Outlook Express!

Reply to
Damir

The location of your files can be found from

Tools => Options => Maintenance => Store Folder

Its normally wise to change this on a new install to somewhere sensible that is included in your normal backup strategy - you do have one?

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

What's your basis for that assertion ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Richard Henry" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BeClg.38$RD.6@fed1read08...

Hello Richard,

These files have the extension .dbx and are stored in the following folder if you haven't changed it.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\YOUR-LOGIN-NAME\\Local Settings \\Application Data\\Identities\\...\\Microsoft\\Outlook Express

\\...\\ is somwhig like {5B7G.-.....}

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

non sequitur.

I cannot open Outlook Express.

Reply to
pomerado

XP

After my login name, there is no "Local Settings" folder.

Reply to
Richard Henry

account

XP

I have been considering alternative email tools. This is the last straw for OE. Does Eudora place email folders somewhere logical, searchable by Windows Explorer, readable by a standard text procesor?

Reply to
Richard Henry

XP

that

I backed up some time ago, but I am missing the latest round of emails, and since I can't open OE, I can't find the folders.

Reply to
Richard Henry

"Richard Henry" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C9Dlg.40$RD.13@fed1read08...

open -

where

Hello Richard,

The folder given above has been for XP.

Under WIN98 it's here:

C:\\WINDOWS\\Application Data\\Identities\\...\\Microsoft\\Outlook Express

\\...\\ is somwhig like {5B7G.-.....}

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

I am runninng Windows XP home edition, but I don't see the folders you described.

Reply to
Richard Henry

There is a trick if you want to read the stored emails. When you finally get OE to open, or if you reinstall it, it may create its own default Inbox.dbx and Sent Items.dbx. You can close OE, overwrite the default (empty) Inbox with the new one, and then reopen.

If you want the old emails as separate folder, you must first create the new folder in OE, and put any email mesage in it. Then close OE, rename your old email folder with this new name, and overwrite the one in the OE directory.

There is an import function, but it seems to work only from other mail readers, or it does not allow import to a specific folder.

Paul

Reply to
pschoen

"Richard Henry" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OnDlg.44$RD.29@fed1read08...

my

original

Hello Richard,

try a search for .dbx files. The only problem is that the explorer doesn't look into some folders. Maybe you have manually choosen a different folder. On a different drive, e.g. D:?

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

It (Eudora) does store a file that corresponds to a mailbox folder that is just a text file with the extension MBX (mailbox). For example, you have the default IN, OUT, and TRASH mailboxes. You can then open the file (assuming windows XP) :

BOOTDISK:\\documents and settings\\user name\\application data\\qualcomm \\eudora\\in.mbx

with notepad and be seeing all of the mail in the in box, in plain text.

I believe one of the options is to keep the mailboxes in the program directory, and you can do multiple installs so you can have a separate application and path for different email accounts. Keeps the better half's junk away from my stuff. All in all I like Eudora and have been using it for about 10 years.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Yes (at least in the venerable Eudora Pro v3.0.5 that I use). You create folders just like you would in Windows Explorer and create filters to put stuff where you want.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You can recover the system simply by going into programs/accessories/system programs/recovery. Choose a point where everything still worked. And then download the latest security updates and do a system scan at trendmicro housecall. If you erased those files in your documents accidentally, because of low memory or whatever, nobody can help you though.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Try this

Martine Riddle

One idea might be to install Thunderbird email program... It will import your old Outlook Express email folders and account settings. Personally, I like Thunderbird. Besides, it's free and seems to have reliable performance.

Jim

--
21:30 Pacific Time Zone
Jun 19 2006