How do I defeat VCR's blue screen?

I have two different working cable-ready consumer-grade VCRs I use for cable (they also act as the cable converter).

If I flip to a channel I shouldn't get, since the tuner cannot lock onto a clear picture, the VCRs flips to a blue screen. How do I defeat the blue screen on either VCR? The VCR menus are very basic, and the external switches are few. I presume there must be a switch, maybe inside, to permit me to see the scrambled or poor quality picture instead of the blocking blue screen.

One VCR is a Panasonic, the other is an RCA. I've seen the same effect from many other VCRs, and some cable-ready TVs, too.

How can the blue screen be defeated without the use of an external cable box?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Ehrlich

It is almost certainly hard-coded into the firmware. I doubt very much if there is anything you can do to change that behavior short of re-writing and retro- loading the microprocessor code.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

If there is no option in the user menu, there is no easy way. The software for this is written in to the firmware code of the uPC. Get a colour black source such as from a TV sync generator, or use a video camera with the lens cap on it as a black source going in to the external input of the machine. As long as it sees video coming in, it should not give you a blue screen.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG ========================================= WebPage

Electronics

I have two different working cable-ready consumer-grade VCRs I use for cable (they also act as the cable converter).

If I flip to a channel I shouldn't get, since the tuner cannot lock onto a clear picture, the VCRs flips to a blue screen. How do I defeat the blue screen on either VCR? The VCR menus are very basic, and the external switches are few. I presume there must be a switch, maybe inside, to permit me to see the scrambled or poor quality picture instead of the blocking blue screen.

One VCR is a Panasonic, the other is an RCA. I've seen the same effect from many other VCRs, and some cable-ready TVs, too.

How can the blue screen be defeated without the use of an external cable box?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Reply to
Jerry G.

Nothing you can do with VCR or combos. But you do have choice with TV JVC sets that I know for sure. They have option for noise muting, turn it off gives you snow or a noisy pix instead of blue.

Cheers,

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

My (old) Mitsubishi HS-U770 has a switchable video mute as a menu item. Most VCRs do not.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@xprt.net mentioned...

I would guess that the hardware, mainly the signal level and squelch, have a lot to do with this.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

I found ancient runes from Jason D.[ snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca] in the floor of sci.electronics.repair:

I have an LG TV which has an option that turns off the TV after a time (10 mins IIRC) of no or bad reception. Otherwise it just stays on the noisy station.

--
'You receive a scroll of signature. It says:'
Chaos Master® - Posting from Porto Alegre - Brazil.

How is that supposed to help? he can't see what he wants, so you want him to hook it to a different video source?

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Install Linux ? No blue screens.

:)

-A

Reply to
Andre

I found ancient runes from Andre[testing snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] in the floor of sci.electronics.repair:

Or Mac OS X. At least it gets user-friendly.

--
'You receive a scroll of signature. It says:'
Chaos Master® - Posting from Porto Alegre - Brazil.
E-mail address is yummy food for spammers®.
Reply to
Chaos Master

Yeah - try getting MacOS to crash. It seems pretty stable.

;-)

-A

Reply to
Andre

Or download X-Setup and change the blue screen of death to a different colour....

Peter

Reply to
Bushy