Sony DV-27TS20 blue screen with orbs of color

Our screen is all blue except for red and green orbs along the perimeter. The repair shop said it was the "degouzing" and the cost is $190. Does that sound right? Also he said the picture was fuzzy and the tube was likely going out. He suggested buying a new tv. Anybody have thoughts on that?

Reply to
roamer

Hi...

The spelling for the word you're using is "degaussing", if you'd like to google it. Ignore the entries that refer to marine operations and you'll find some entries.

For what it's worth, what you describe sounds extreme for a magnetized tube, but it's worth a shot at degaussing it. Nothing much to lose. 190 dollars is insane, however.

Let us know if you'd like more.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Thank you for your help. I've researched the degaussing and it sounds like that is what happened. Just before it occured we had placed a new room air purifier about 4' away from the TV. We'll see if it doesn't work itself out and if it doesn't find a more reasonable repair shop.

Reply to
roamer

Is there any video at all. Sony aperture grill CRT's don't take well to strong degaussing, if my memory of Sony training manuals is correct. Was the shop you took it to Sony-authorized? Sometimes that can make a difference.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre