OT: Win7 setup, etc

Actually, i have versions for Win95 (which i no longer run), Win3.11, Win98SE, and Win2K. I think they also run fine in Win7 but i want to solve the "access denied" problem first. The CorelDraw for Win3.11 has a few features that got "lost" in later versions, to never return again.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It appears one can import various corel draw formats. But you would probably end up saving the files in Inkscapes native SVG, which I think your old corel draw is unlikely to support.

I believe it does support some VBA, don't use the graphing extensively but it looks like it does support secondary y axis if that is what you mean.

Your problem is going to be that various things are *different*, not that there is no way to do them.

Yes, better than Word itself usually.

I often have to use openoffice to convert documents between Word formats for a customer. I just did this for a powerpoint 2010 --> 2003 presentation too. I thought it would have no chance but it worked perfectly.

I think there have been "proof of principle" cross-platform exploits but really there is nowhere near the same problem. Linux is a quite a fragmented platform but this works in its favour here. Application and OS security updates are centralised and are released quickly. Application developers are not all trying to install crapware on you machine in order to "monetize" their work.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Gee, you know Phil may be abrasive at times, but he's usually right in his comments. You, on the other hand, know nothing. You are not going to get a router installed on a dialup modem, instead you need to rely on a firewall in Windows.

Seemed clear to everyone else, so OK, I'll explain it: There is no broadband available to him at a reasonable price. IOW, he cannot afford satellite, he is too far away for DSL, and there's no cable access where he is. Got it now?

The concept of advice (good advice) is foreign to you, so STFU. He's not a Luddite, but a person with a disadvantage.

With what? So you think (in your moronic mind) that a new PC and display will fix the fact he's on dial-up and can't use a router? Sheesh, what a maroon.

Holler like you... Yea, that's a good one.

Hint: you are a failure as a Phil look-alike.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

No, idiot. You run a machine that acts as your Internet host. IT has the modem. Then, it becomes the local server for your local net, which is on the other side of the firewall your router has in it.

Try again, gee boy.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

You know nothing about "everyone else", you clueless ditz.

: There is no

Is that your estimation as to reasonability or his?

You obviously wouldn't even know.

A few lines ago, it was too high a price. Make up your mind, dumbfuck.

Goddamned out-in-the-boondocks idiots... bwuahahahah!

I've got that you are a mouthy little bitch.

Satellite is not that expensive any more, dumbass. Particulalry considering the benefit over POTS.

You've got Hughes, Skyway, Wild Blue, others.

You'll never "get it".

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

No. YOU are a person with a disadvantage.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out!

I've used DokuWiki and I think it's a fine program, although since you're going through a web browser it doesn't have nearly the "interactive" feel of desktop programs. (...but that's a small price to pay in most cases for everything else it gives you...)

Ah, good point!

That would be a "killer app" for Linux.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

In theory they do: OpenOffice Calc allows programs/macros in what's largely a clone of Visual BASIC, and has HTML export functionality. I practice, I've never tried these features, so I can't comment on how well they well.

A better reason for not switching to OpenOffice would be the *cost* involved -- for businesses -- in changing over all their macros and custom programs.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It's actually performing handwriting recognition. This is a somewhat easier task than strict OCR, in that it gets to examine your stroke speeds, the time between them, etc. If you're writing "dictionary words," the accuracy is quite good -- somewhere in the high-90's percentage range. Similarly, OCRing images of, e.g., business cards or other printed text is very good. However, my understanding is that OCRing images of handwriting is not good at all.

It's surprisingly good at recognizing math equations as well. See, e.g.,

.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

gnuplot, Scilab/ScicosLab, R. If it's mostly for pretty plots and the data is already in nice columnar format, gnuplot would be the easiest.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You should simply learn to read.

. +-----+--------+----+ +-------+ +--------+ POTS----------|Modem PC Servr Enet|------|WRouter|----|YerNewPC| . +-----+--------+----+ +-------+ +--------+

Turn yer shitbox into the Internet proxy server, use the wireless router (which also has wired connection ports) to hook your new PC (the one I described to you).

Since you would run Linux on the shitbox, it would be safe, and between that and the router, you would be set. Two full firewalls. When you finally do get a high bandwidth hook, you can likely remove the PC proxy and hook straight into the router.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

AFAIK none of those programs can do two variables each with its own axis, which is a major failure. As far as extracting the data for creating the HTML, that is not a big deal; most spreadsheet programs can export data in some text-type format even if one has to lie about data type (been there, done that). It is easy to parse text-type data to get what is desired. Now about the graphs...can any of those programs export them sized as needed? Oh, i forgot..the graphs do not show what i need.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Would not need 2-way conversion, so that is not a problem. Well, 2 programs seem to have a viable alternate: CorelDraw and Nerd. But the fact that there is no Linux program that can do what i am doing in Excel, kills the idea of direct Linux conversion. That leaves emulation like Wine but much better, Ideas?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Router? What router? How does one ADD a router to a dial-up computer? Impossible if one had a modem CARD (AKA internal modem),and from what i was told, not possible for an external modem (which i use because it gives me more control).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yer nuts.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

No DSL or cable available here. Satellite costs too much, I didn't know the reliability was bad.

I use dialup. 28800 kb/s speed with luck, often lower. First month was free, then $6 per month! I've been with them for about 4 months now, and they still aren't charging me anything. I think they forgot.

Reply to
Beryl

  • Tried DSL once when Qwest has a killer price. Was total disaster. They had to send a tech out (with laptop and other gear) and it took him many hours to get me online. Then the "750K or more" data rate became "250K tops" with reality of 200K peak on rare occasion. Hell, when it worked, i was lucky to get 100K (or about double dial-up max). Oh yes, "when it worked"..randumb carrier dropout which could last minutes; one was lucky to have a continuous shot longer than 10 minutes. Made them refund everything _including_ the "non-refundable" fees etc. Cable cost is a bit higher overall (ie: too much) and installation would require work on and in the house - which the owner will not allow.
  • Satellite is a bit pricer than cable or DSL but it is not reliable, with dropouts lasting for days (even when the weather is OK).
  • Both viewpoints (a) too far = = unreliable, and (b) too expensive (if on full rate).
  • Glad you are rich; after setup fees which are not exactly low, the monthly rate is or more. And very unreliable (see above).
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • The various OCR programs i have used fail miserably as to be 200 percent useless for handwriting images - which is what i have needed in the past; thus my interest. Even 10 percent accuracy would be infinitely better, most especially if the "flubs" were reasonably correlated to the text.

Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:09:08 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Well you do not say what you need. At least not in a parsable way. Stuff like that, as I mentioned before, you just hack together in an evening in C or any other language you are good in. And if you cannot, there are so many utilities, including graphical ones, in Linux that there always is something that does what you want. OTOH if you are not a programmer, and have some non-standard ideas about what to do, then you are stuck with your limitations, unless somebody else solves your problems. There are 2 command (yes you have to actually type thse) in Linux tha tmaye lead to a clue. apropos subject finds programs related to 'subject'. man programname. RTFM

True Linux is not for dummies.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So, did you ever get an answer to your original question on how to change access rights to erase and change files ??

Or did nobody really know the answer ?

boB

Reply to
boB