OT: Win7 setup, etc

How about OneNote, John?

I'd love to have a Linux program that works with both typewritten text and inking, makes it easy to clip web pages, and uses OCR and speech recognition to -- automatically, in the background -- extract text from handwritten text, images, and audio clips (and thereafter lets you search by keyword through those handwritten notes or whatever -- how cools is that?).

InkScape and Open/LibreOffice are certainly quite good, and likely meet the needs for a good 90+% of users, but strictly speaking neither is nearly as powerful as Corel Draw and Microsoft Office that they're being compared to. Of course, given the cost of Corel and Microsoft products, you sure *should* be getting something more than what the freebies provide!

(It's almost pitiful to watch Corel try to gain some market share against Microsoft Office by offering WordPerfect Office for all of something like $40. Apparently it's actually quite worth the money, too...)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

update,

  • Paid nothing for it. Was a gift.

  • Yep! Seems that odd-numbered service packs do more damage than good.

Linus would be useful -->IF

Reply to
Robert Baer

Doesn't SeaMonkey etc write in their own directories (bookmarks, e-mails, NGs, etc)? Hell, the "master" folder where most of the programs live is NOT accessible.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Please illuminate me; s'plain.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Several movies have "games" on the DVD. POTC for one. They are Java based.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

You? No guarantee whatsoever. Your lack of aptitude for the realm virtually guarantees that you are going to f*ck it up.

You are appearing worse than the NL jerk that cross-posts his PC failures all over the place.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

No, idiot! The router HAS a FIREWALL. You would be better off WITH one.

You are still on dial up?

Why is ANYONE giving your Luddite ass any advice then?

Go spring out $500 for a new PC and display. Boom. You're done.

The Acer Revo is a good choice. $200. Then get a good 24" minimum display. Should get in under $500. If you ain't got $500 to get a replacement for that relic, you should not be in front of it at night, diluting the newsgroups with senseless crud.

I know folks that get their hooks off their cell phone accounts. Anything is better than dial up. I could probably stand on the corner and holler out ones and zeros faster than that crap.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Your biggest mistake is listening to the idiots that hang out in Usenet groups.

You would get better info from the help groups at Microsoft.

Oh... that's right... you hate them... but you need help with their stuff, which you pained yourself to buy (obviously), and are paining yourself to use (obviously).

First advice... RELAX! STOP GUESSING at everything.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Second advice... make sure that you are not trying to install that new OS on a ten year old total piece of shit machine!

It should be at least a P3 or AMD X2 64. Even that is pushing it.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Hi Joel, I confess I'm not familiar with OneNote.

I've not seen anything with quite all those features on linux. I found an overview which you probably found too

I personally use dokuwiki for "notes" like todo lists, snippets of code, procedures, writing down how I got something working etc. It's great for organising textual information and code but a bit clunky for manipulating images and other media files since these have to go through a "web upload" button.

Remember Robert is probably on Windows 95 versions of all these :)

It is a usable Access replacement I am still looking for. It is exasperating to me that the only MS product I still need is to support a database that *I* created.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Don't you read the introductory material on what's new?

Documents, Pictures, Music, Recent Items etc.

are all examples of aliases and/or virtual folders with dynamic content.

You don't have enough of a clue to guarantee anything. You probably will never even notice until the entire machine grinds to a standstill.

On a dialup line it will go so slowly continuously downloading updates that you probably will be permanently between full stop and dead slow.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

an update,

I have a Visual Basic program that runs in Excel that uses spreadsheet data to create a number of "double" graphs (well production on left and wells on right), each curve has its own color matching corresponding scale. A corresponding HTML file is created on the fly for each graph and the graph is exported to a usable file. Do ANY of these 3rd party programs do that? Absolutely not; not even for a single variable. Do that andwer your question concerning "Why copy MS stuff?" ?

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Will check it out; are the files compatible? I have a LOT of Corel drawings.
  • AFAIK neither supports Visual Basic for my app (mentioned elsewhere in this thread); and neither supports 2 variables each with corresponding scale and color.
  • Compatible formats?

  • Perhaps you have ignored the tales...

Reply to
Robert Baer

OCR -->WRITTEN

Reply to
Robert Baer

I peat again (repeat "what the heck is this ALIAS stuff?".

Reply to
Robert Baer

All of that costly hardware cannot possibly give more speed on the net...without a HIGH SPEED connection. I have a fixed income and cannot afford an additional $60/month (or more). "Wireless" is not an option even if it were free, as there is no reception within 500 feet. Would "anything" include signal flags?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I think i started with a question, not a guess.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:02:50 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Yes and here is the 'evil' part. I have a Cyberhome DVD player, I bought it because it had analog 5 channel audio out, needed that to test my multi language DVDs I produced. So one day I bough the latest starwars 3 DVD, put it in the Cyberhome, and black screen! Now it seems Cyberhome had an argument with the DVD club because it had the build in audio decoder, probably payed no license costs or something, and Cyberhome was blacklisted. That means no newer release DVDs play on it. So, me as the customer becomes the victim of some argument between the Hollywood maffia and some manufacturer. So where do I get my money back? I think Cyberhome no longer exists because of that, But the starwars DVD plays fine in Linux in the PC... LOL See how futile their resistance is?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:48:55 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

I dunno, I think Larkin would agree with me that that sort of thing is best hacked together in a few lines of C (he would say BASIC). Could do it in an evening, interface it with postgresql too. Wonder how long it took you to get all that working with your tools. But you should actually look at openoffice, staroffice, libre office, whatever it is called these days, it is to a degree able to read MS stuff, and can do really nice presentations too. There are a lot of Linux programs that use xml format exchange these days. But sure stay with windblows, I am sure they appreciate your money. Just do not bring your frustrations about it to an electronics group, they DO have a help desk. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Is AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ a good start? Must be, because Win7 runs fine as my 4th OS...

Reply to
Robert Baer